MAF sensor relocate?

Lndshrk Steve

In Part 15 Preparing Donor Parts, it mentions to unwrap and untangle the MAF sensor wires to the other end of the valve cover. Is there a Goblin air cleaner mount in the kit? My donor came with an aftermarket air cleaner but the MAF sensor is in the same location as stock. Also, it looks like the wire doesn't get shortened, but splits off at the trans end of the engine. Does it then just get routed, solo, BACK to the pulley end of the engine?
And somewhere I saw wire labels. Are these included in the kit and can I get them now while doing the wiring harness?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Your setup might work on the Goblin, I wouldn't toss it just yet.

My SS/SC kit came with a similar (but shorter) aluminum tube with MAF slot and air filter. There's no mounting provisions for the tube, but I think there are some for the SS/TC with the longer intake tract. I'm not sure what you'll get on an NA kit but it's probably similar to what you have.

Again, not quite the same on an NA kit, but I pulled the MAF wires as far out of the engine harness as I could, and I'm using most of that extra length with the location of my MAF in the intake tube. It seems like a decent enough strategy that I'd recommend it if there's a chance you won't use the exact same intake setup. Then again, if you can keep the exact same intake setup, it minimizes the changes your tune might want to account for the change in the MAF location.

As for the labels, I think they're included with the wiring supply kit on the store. You could probably ask if they're available by themselves if you'd prefer. I believe I've also seen the labels floating around here in document form if you wanted to try to print them on your own, but I can't find them at the moment.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
In Part 15 Preparing Donor Parts, it mentions to unwrap and untangle the MAF sensor wires to the other end of the valve cover. Is there a Goblin air cleaner mount in the kit? My donor came with an aftermarket air cleaner but the MAF sensor is in the same location as stock. Also, it looks like the wire doesn't get shortened, but splits off at the trans end of the engine. Does it then just get routed, solo, BACK to the pulley end of the engine?
And somewhere I saw wire labels. Are these included in the kit and can I get them now while doing the wiring harness?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
View attachment 25993
There is a near infinite way to put the air filter and tube. attached is how I did it which is very close to your donor. I would say that if you follow this way, you probably do not need to change the wiring, but it is also not hard to change if you run it to another location. There are two 1" insulated claps that I looped around the frame and screwed into the end of the filter. I hope this helps.

Joe
IMG_0833.jpgIMG_0834.jpgIMG_0835.jpg

Lndshrk Steve

That helps alot! I'll be studying these photos for a while. I may just split it of as suggested, and as you said, I can run it any way I want. Thanks!

Iwanttogofast

As for the labels, I think they're included with the wiring supply kit on the store. You could probably ask if they're available by themselves if you'd prefer. I believe I've also seen the labels floating around here in document form if you wanted to try to print them on your own, but I can't find them at the moment.
I'm getting into my harness right now, and I have no idea why the "wiring harness supply kit" doesn't come with the DFG kit. I spent well over $12K for my kit, and these necessary wire extensions should be included. Or at least the labels that I now have to try to find a way to get printed. This is the kind of stuff that makes me scratch my head...

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Well you see, these extensions can be made using wires that get cut out of the harness, and anyone considering undertaking a project of this nature probably ought to have electrical tape, solder, and heat shrink tubing on hand. Labels can be as simple as masking tape and a pen. Suffice to say, I don't think that this wiring supply kit is strictly necessary.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm getting into my harness right now, and I have no idea why the "wiring harness supply kit" doesn't come with the DFG kit. I spent well over $12K for my kit, and these necessary wire extensions should be included. Or at least the labels that I now have to try to find a way to get printed. This is the kind of stuff that makes me scratch my head...
Not cool. We all paid that - and more - and complaining that the wire harness kit and labels should be included because you spent a lot of money comes across in a bad way. :( Buy a label maker and do them yourself, as many of us have already done - works great and can be used to help organize the shop too.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
This kit is the most economical on the market. To do that, DF recycles as much as possible off the doner car. It’s amazing how much is still cobalt when you are finished, but this keeps cost down. The next available kit on the market is over double what a Goblin is, we are getting off pretty cheap here, but to do that takes work.

I agree the labels should come with the kit, but it’s not completely needed since you can print them out at home (or work) or just make your own label system with tape and such.

Iwanttogofast

Not cool. We all paid that - and more - and complaining that the wire harness kit and labels should be included because you spent a lot of money comes across in a bad way. :( Buy a label maker and do them yourself, as many of us have already done - works great and can be used to help organize the shop too.
Look... I don't need solder, electrical tape, and gloves. But, to not include a couple of dollars worth of wire and a sheet of sticker paper labels... well, to me that comes off as you say "in a bad way". All I'm saying is that these things (not everything in the kit) should come with the kit.

Like removal of the exhaust bung on the 2.5" exhaust. I don't get that. It's much easier to plug if you don't want it than try to get one welded in somehow. I'm simply stating that some of this stuff doesn't make sense to me (and others, I'm sure), so don't go getting all defensive again.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
:confused:

My take on it is, I am appreciative that they've done all they can to minimize the cost of the kit. Anyone can print a PDF file containing labels, and all the wire I needed to modify my harness was laying coiled up in my waste wire box.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Look... I don't need solder, electrical tape, and gloves. But, to not include a couple of dollars worth of wire and a sheet of sticker paper labels... well, to me that comes off as you say "in a bad way". All I'm saying is that these things (not everything in the kit) should come with the kit.

Like removal of the exhaust bung on the 2.5" exhaust. I don't get that. It's much easier to plug if you don't want it than try to get one welded in somehow. I'm simply stating that some of this stuff doesn't make sense to me (and others, I'm sure), so don't go getting all defensive again.
Really? As pointed out there is plenty of wire available from the thinned harness and there are many alternatives to making labels. The wire kit is NOT a requirement for the vast majority of us, thus the reason it is a separate purchase item - and readily available for your purchase. Seems that 300+ other Goblin owners and builders have been able to accommodate this 'missing' item that is causing you heartburn.