Mayor West's 09 SS/TC Ext. Track Turbo #191 [South Carolina] [Registered] [Sold]

Classy

Well, now that you got it loose, any scorching under there? Can you tell if it was seated correctly?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
It appears to be fine. The car ran before I picked it apart, and I did my own harness, so it's honestly likely something I goofed up on along the way... although Lonny's instructions were tedious and long, they weren't too hard to follow.

The hole I drilled through was for a piece of wiring that is no longer used in the build so I may try to slap it back together for the sake of being productive during my 2 weeks of vacation while I source a new box. Not exactly a safe bet, but desperate times call for drilled-out fuse boxes for sure.

Classy

I mean, as long as the part you drilled through doesn’t try to arc to anything else, I think you are safe if that pin goes to nothing you are using

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yeah I just fired it up (doesn't run still) but it didn't seem to have issues due to my drilling. I have royally jacked up that box, though. I think I will continue to look for a new(ish) one but continue to work on my issues while I'm on vacation.

At least it's not a complete loss of my time.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I noticed that when I first had the car and it ran fine before disassembly.

That is a thick white wire that goes to "cooling fan low ref", according to my schematics (unless I'm reading it wrong)

Brian74

Goblin Guru
That stinks. I hate when best intentions go awry and we end up making more work and expense as a result.
Wish I was further along with my build, into the wiring harness, because I may go the route Brian (Brian74) did with using the BCM as the fuse/relay box and eliminate the engine fusebox altogether (will need the space above the transmission). I don't want to get rid of it yet as I may need to do circuit checks with it before swapping wires and connections over. Sorry. :(
Someone on the forum should have a lead to one, since as a group we seem to be able to source everything.

I didn’t eliminate the fusebox. I am using the fuse box, ECM, and BCM. They all serve their own purpose. I just repurposed some of their original purposes by reassigning relays in the fusebox and transistors in the BCM to new purposes.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Had some pretty discouraging first start issues also, turned out my grounds going back to the fuse box were Fubar. Ran a ground wire from the rear post under the box into the fuse box to a common Pin IIRC was the block that had the fuel pump relay. Found the issue with a circuit test probe like this one. : PROBE

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Turns out my wiring job missed BCM X1 pin 61 ground. So my AUTO headlight bcm kill issue is resolved. Thank you to @Brian74 for confirming my suspicions in that missing ground wire.

First start!

It's rough, loud, and choppy but its idles under its own power finally.

I have DTCs for P0202, P0203, and P0204 - IE injectors 2 through 4 are throwing open circuit codes. I didn't mess around with the engine-side wiring, so I'm not expecting that side to be the problem aside from whether or not the plug is seated. I'm going to test continuity between the injector plugs and the end points to the ECM/BCM plugs. I'm very pleased to have reached this point. It disheartening to build your goblin to 98% and wait till the end to try first crank and run in to issues with a fully built car infront of you, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Have you tried clearing the current codes, and then rescanning it with key on, engine off?
Yeah, that's what got it to run after the initial Pin #61 re-grounding. I had to clear everything. It's running off 1 cylinder, 2/3/4 are not getting any juice. It sounds like it, too... it's basically a diesel tractor right now.

I checked the plugs and they're making contact, but I have not checked continuity yet. All the neighbors are outside hanging out so I'm riding on cloud 9 hanging out with them finally feeling like I'm back on my feet with this. I am not an electrical connoisseur, so I am happy I did my own harness and overcame the mountain of fun it was. Not to mention I didn't follow the default DF guide and have a few extra random stuff to account for as well.

This week I'll definitely hit it hard and get those other 3 cylinders back online. I've basically memorized the BCM wiring diagram by now.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
This afternoon I pulled the injectors out to inspect them with my ohm meter. 3 failed the test so I cleaned the contacts with sandpaper and slapped em back in.

It fired up immediately and this was the result. Tune is rough due to now being blow through MAF and all that other mess BUT it's on all 4 now.

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I may have missed this but do you plan to do your own HP Tuners or what?

Also, I guess, congratulations too, you know.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I may have missed this but do you plan to do your own HP Tuners or what?

Also, I guess, congratulations too, you know.
I have HPtuners and plan on getting it mostly ok dialed in then taking it to be professionally Dyno tuned.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yesterday I got some work done but not a whole lot.

I thought I had the correct brake pads but I did not, so I wasn't able to put my rears together 100%. I chopped up the intake pipes from an Audi S6 I recently sold to make a nice little intake for the goblin. I finally securely wired the BCM and put the kick plate on. I bought an eBay fuse box and swapped the black multiplug out so that's no longer stripped. I wasn't able to use the fuse box because it was for a NA model and was missing some critical turbo pins, but it served its purpose all the same. Today I should be getting Lonny's fix for the shift cables being too short, took a week to ship :(

This is my last week of vacation so I hope to knock everything out. A few things are on order that won't be here until next week so I won't be driving it this week but hopefully soon.

Not much left to do, though!!! So close...

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
So I just got my front brake pads in so I figured I'd bleed my brakes and clutch.

I have a leak in my transmission clutch slave cylinder, so now have to remove the engine and trans to check that out.

I was hoping it was the but up top but it's seeping out of the bottom case.

┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Joy.