Mirror with Dashcam and 3D printed brackets

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Hi all,

I was really missing an inside mirror in my Goblin. I bought this Mirror with dash cam from Amazon https://amzn.to/45jdmgg and designed some brackets.
After a few iterations I had the right angle and stable design. The cable needs to be routed nicer. Will do new pictures when it's all done.

I uploaded the files to cults. Print settings and material as well.

Have a great Sunday,

Mike

PS: The amazon link is an affiliate link, and supports my website: www.SoFloRC.com

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
One of these could be mounted, not a mirror, but a dashcam that has two cameras - one forward, one remote mount in back - that acts like a rearview mirror. Doesn't need to be mounted on the overhead halo (track frame), but can be mounted right above the stock gauge panel on any model Goblin.
New 4k Dash Cam Dvr Mirror Recorder 12 Inch Backup Dual Camera GPS Touch Screen | eBay

I'm not taking credit for this - @Amack1970 has this already installed in his Goblin. He may chime in with a photo or two if he sees this post. But the dashcam works great and it can record the goings-on both front and back of a Goblin, just in case.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
The mirror I used has 2 cameras as well. It's with an 4.5" display, it's just hard to see in the sun.... Still working on my roof but I belive I'll print some smaller sun shade for the mirror interim. :)

The reverse camera isn't mounted yet, as I first need to print an adapter for the 12v outlet and clean that wire up mess.

CCascioli

I love the idea of having a forward and rear facing dashcam... can you vouch for the quality of the $35 camera at all? I am all for it, but I have had dash cams before that when I had an incident...turned out it wasn't even recording anymore :(

jamesm

Goblin Guru
How's the vibration with those 3d printed mounts? My UTV style mirror vibrates so bad that you can't see anything out of it when you're driving.

devianteng

How's the vibration with those 3d printed mounts? My UTV style mirror vibrates so bad that you can't see anything out of it when you're driving.
This. I suffer from vibration about 2500rpm with my UTV style mirror. Any spirited driving, that mirror is useless, lol.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I love the idea of having a forward and rear facing dashcam... can you vouch for the quality of the $35 camera at all? I am all for it, but I have had dash cams before that when I had an incident...turned out it wasn't even recording anymore
You get what you pay for, cheapie dashcam, poor quality recording and electronics. The one that I exampled previously is about as low-end as I would want to go. Personally, I would be looking for a trucker/long-haul driver quality system with multiple cameras - not cheap but record high quality and are reliable. Just my opinion. ;)

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Well, my original design vibrated, but after a few rounds I found a design which works.

Here are some videos, forgot to switch sound on and keep in mind, it was already twilight.

For a little over $30 I am very happy!!

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
All, I blieve I uploaded the wrong part to Cults. I think Version 1.0 was a mirrored version of what you need. Sorry for that. I just uploaded an even better version 1.1 this time it's for sure correct.

@jamesm This vibration thing is now becoming an OCD. I looked at the mirror while driving and saw some vibration. I beefed the part up and desinged Version 1.1. Funny is, if you look in the mirror, now you can see that the upper part for the rear spoiler starts to swing from 30mphs and more. I will put my gopro on the wing at some point, to get a close up video for that.

V1.1 vs V1.0 driver.jpg
V1.1 vs V1.0 passenger.jpg

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You might try adding some weight to the mirror. We use to do it to motorcycles mirrors. Some lead shot or fill it full of silicone if it’s hollow. Helps dampen vibrations.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the updated STLs. I hate the mirror I have now so I may swap it for a similar setup to what you have.