Next step. What to check?

Batmonkey

So, I switched out my ECM with one from the wreckers. Most of my previous engine code are gone. My Throttle is working now. No engine power reduced warning on dash. But car won't start, I get this error code

P0315 Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned. I have a scanner that can learn it, but it says start engine and leave it at idle.

Batmonkey

What do you mean won’t start? No run or no crank?
reading your posts with painful jack a while back, seems like he had a similar issue

". So then I replaced the ECM, re-learned the key, and it started right up and ran very well, but had the P0315 error code "

I did not do a key relearn, not quite sure what it is, but i will look into that just now

Batmonkey

What did you end up with after this last update?
Its been working since I replaced ECM. Some times it takes a couple key turns to turn it on. There was one time it didn't start for a bit, no crank or anything, but i did get it going after 10 minutes. I think their might be some loose pin connectors. But has not created any major set backs yet. Throttle body works which was def not working with last ecm

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
That's just a matter of time before you get stranded. These types of electrical issues only get worse with time. Yes, it sounds like loose connector pins - or it could still be wiring since it was manipulated to install the new ECM. You need to find this gremlin and get it fixed.

When you get the intermittent no crank, are you getting any codes? This may be able to point you in a direction to keep looking.

Batmonkey

ill have to see when that happens again. Right now the car runs but i have my 10 amp exhaust fused pulled. If i put it in the engine starts but then cuts out fairly soon.

codes i'm getting now P0030 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit – Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0036 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit – Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0102: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
When you say starts then cuts out, as in the engine stops running? How much time? Is it different when the engine is cold versus when you are able to get it hot? What happens if you run the engine with the fuse pulled, then install it after the engine is hot? Will it start and run?

Can you cicle the fuse you pulled in the photo and the number and name of the fuse from the fusebox lid?

The O2 codes could be the issue, possibly a short or open in this circuit? Not certain this would cause the engine to die, but would put it into open-loop operation. But doing this the engine is dependent upon the MAF input and the O2 codes in combination with the MAF code may be the issue?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I wouldn’t worry about the Bank 2 O2 sensor. If you have HP Tuner you can turn it off.

The Bank 1 code and Mass Flow codes, I’d look into those more. Not sure what to check, hopefully someone more better can chime in.

Batmonkey

When you say starts then cuts out, as in the engine stops running? How much time? Is it different when the engine is cold versus when you are able to get it hot? What happens if you run the engine with the fuse pulled, then install it after the engine is hot? Will it start and run?

Can you cicle the fuse you pulled in the photo and the number and name of the fuse from the fusebox lid?

The O2 codes could be the issue, possibly a short or open in this circuit? Not certain this would cause the engine to die, but would put it into open-loop operation. But doing this the engine is dependent upon the MAF input and the O2 codes in combination with the MAF code may be the issue?
Yes stops running, the engine has a rough idle for a second or two then shuts off. If i let it run without fuse for a bit then put the fuse in it kept running.

its the 10 amp EXH fuse, Exhaust emissions.

Attachments

Batmonkey

Gonna swap Maf sensor tomorrow. I started up the engine, it was idling rough just before it was a bout to cut out i disconnect the Maf sensor and then it went back into a "regular" idle. I probably should test the connector too

Rauq

Goblin Guru
ill have to see when that happens again. Right now the car runs but i have my 10 amp exhaust fused pulled. If i put it in the engine starts but then cuts out fairly soon.

codes i'm getting now P0030 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit – Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0036 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit – Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0102: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low
It looks like all three of B1S1 and B1S2 and the MAF are fed ignition voltage through the 10a EXH fuse. See the diagrams linked here and the section immediately below the one linked. My first guess would be that the codes you listed are because of the fuse being pulled, but if the idle clean up after you disconnect the MAF, then perhaps the P0102 diag would be useful at this time. Or maybe a new MAF fixes it all!