ODB Link - Bluetooth - WiFi

DanPerryy

I have purchased 3 ODB Link tools - 2 Bluetooth and 1 WiFi

ODBLink LX bluetooth - abo0ut $60 as I recall
ODBLink MX WiFi - about $80 as I recall
ELM327 KW902 off brand from eBay - about $15

All these "time-out" with inactivity and stop drawing (the little power they draw) power. I did this because I was planning on leaving it permanently connected to the Goblin and did not want to worry about long term inactivity drawing down the battery.

I bought the ODBLink LX first (for the Goblin) and really liked it, used it on my Jeep, my Passat TDI (yes one of those and I love it) and my motorhome (a diesel MB drive train).

I liked the ODBLink LX so much I wanted to keep one on the motorhome permanently so I bought a knock-off KW902 to see how it would work. It worked just like the LX as far as I have been able to determine.

I bought the MX last because I had thought it would read more information. One piece of software I have not tried out recommended it. I'm trying to calibrate my brake position sensor - not as easy as you would think.

The WiFi model is MUCH harder to get setup. I have not found anything that it does better although I know the data transfer is faster but I have not been able to detect the difference. Another bigger downside to the WiFi version is that you connect to it like a connecting to a server or a router and you cant use (at least I have not been able to) the computer WiFi to connect to the internet.

On my Goblin there is something that does not go idle and the devices stay active (both ODBLink devices - I have not tried the KW902).

Overall I would get the KW902 if I were just to get one as it is less expensive and seems to work as well.

ODB Link Devices.jpg

Last edited:

PHerder

Dan, I looked up the ELM327 KW902 on eBay and found the following warning on a couple of them:

This listing is for one KW902 Bluetooth OBDII Code Scanner.
This item is not compatible with GMC, Chevy, Ford, or any other vehicle produced by General Motors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KW902-ODB2-II-Diagnostic-Code-Scanner-Reader-Android-ELM327-Bluetooth-Torque-/141978657396?hash=item210e966274:g:vUMAAOSw2GlXJnxP

Did you have any problems reading info off the Cobalt?

Since they probably are all the same (i.e. a knockoff) I am wondering why the warning?

DanPerryy

I had not (before just now) actually checked the KW902 in the Goblin - it was in the motorhome so I went out and then plugged it into the Goblin.

I normally use the Android ODB Check - Torque and it connected right up to my KW902 - KW902 is not actually written on my device but my eBay account says that is what I bought.

I read the fault codes using the KW902 and displayed a dashboard. All seemed to work just like the ODBLink LX.

KW902 ODBLink.jpg

PG5

Thanks for the write up! I've been hesitant on getting one of these because of the cost, but I may just have to try the KW902!