RPD screen replacement?

Jm12

One last question for the day and I know this one is a longshot... the one definite casualty of the trip home was the RPD's screen. It's just white + backlight now. I didn't realize until after it was busted that it was a factory option on the 09/10 turbos, nor did I realize that they are hard to find and go for a premium these days. I can tell that the smarts are still working as turning the knob a certain number of clicks turns the display off just as it did when it was in the world of the living. If I can find and install a screen I think it'll still work. Any more than a snowball's chance that there's a standard part that will replace it?

Brett

I think your best bet is to setup a search on ebay with a notification if one shows up. Also, troll the cobalt ss forums for a replacement.

As far as a third party replacement, there are none that I am aware of but you might be able to take it apart and find a comparable screen that could work, if you have the electronics knowledge or are willing to learn and figure it out.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Since it seems like the functions are still working, there may be a chance you can save it. I’d try some of the solutions for wet cell phones and see if that works. It may just be moisture still inside.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I sort of just went through this myself. BTW if your RPD was not working the (gmlan) daisy chain would be broken and you wouldn't be able to start your car. You can also see issues with the gauge cluster in that gas level will be zero and your cluster lights won't turn on. That being said, check the plug and pigtail on the back of the RPD as it's not meant to see abuse and can break (mine did). There are no replacement RPD's for sale and if there are they're like $500

I went with this and it's been okay, but doesn't give oil pressure which is annoying. You'll have to jump your gmlan pins at the pigtail to keep the daisy chain but that's not difficult.

Lufi XF Revolution OBD2 Multi-Data Heads Up Display

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I sort of just went through this myself. BTW if your RPD was not working the (gmlan) daisy chain would be broken and you wouldn't be able to start your car. You can also see issues with the gauge cluster in that gas level will be zero and your cluster lights won't turn on. That being said, check the plug and pigtail on the back of the RPD as it's not meant to see abuse and can break (mine did). There are no replacement RPD's for sale and if there are they're like $500

I went with this and it's been okay, but doesn't give oil pressure which is annoying. You'll have to jump your gmlan pins at the pigtail to keep the daisy chain but that's not difficult.

Lufi XF Revolution OBD2 Multi-Data Heads Up Display
I kind of like the look of that unit. If my current experiment (a RPi 4B as an OBDII reader) doesn't work out, I might look at this one. How does it attach to the surface, via a suction cup?

Jm12

I sort of just went through this myself. BTW if your RPD was not working the (gmlan) daisy chain would be broken and you wouldn't be able to start your car. You can also see issues with the gauge cluster in that gas level will be zero and your cluster lights won't turn on.
Well that's terrifying. Sounds like we dodged a bullet. The gas gauge does drop to zero occasionally, but only shortly after fill up and then it pops back again- another issue that I'm not sure when it started.

I'm going to disassemble the thing and get a look at how the LCD is attached. Maybe drive it into a Chevrolet dealer for giggles and see what they have to say.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
The one I ordered attaches by double sided tape, although I will likely make something more permanent.

Judging by the pictures in Amazon, O.P's likely is tape also.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Yep, you're probably right. Don't like the idea of double-sided tape on my DF windshield, but it's getting scratched up pretty bad anyway, so...

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Did the cars with the RPD come with a oil pressure sensor or just the low pressure switch? The best I could tell, the LNF typically only came with a oil pressure light. I added a glow shift oil pressure sensor and gauge to mine.
Yea the RPD doesn't give oil pressure BUT the gauge I linked says it gives oil temp and pressure. When I select those, it's just null :(

Well that's terrifying. Sounds like we dodged a bullet.
You can tell there's a problem when you don't get an OBD2 signal or the signal is intermittent. Mine started to go intermittent and it was hell trying to figure it out - the plug on the back of the RPD finally gave out and I figured it out. With the gas gauge/rpd/obd stuff, if you can start the car you can actually lose the gmlan signal and the car will stay running lol So as long as you can get the car started you're free, it won't just cut out on you.

Judging by the pictures in Amazon, O.P's likely is tape also.
The gauge mounts to a stand with a bolt/nut and they give you double sided tape for the stand. The tape doesn't work in the heat, so I have bolted the stand to some scrap aluminum backing which mounts to my manual steering drop spindle....i'll get a pic later

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Yep, you're probably right. Don't like the idea of double-sided tape on my DF windshield, but it's getting scratched up pretty bad anyway, so...
I'm hoping it will fit between the steering wheel and dash. If not I may pull the cobalt cluster out and add it in there. I would think it might vibrate to much attached to the windshield anyway.