Supercharger Pump

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Does anyone know were the power source for the supercharger pump comes from? Is it the "aftercool" fuse in the main fuse box. I have no power to either.

Thanks

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, the supercharger has a 6 groove belt powered from the engine's crankshaft, along with the alternator and AC pump.
Probably why you can't find the fuse. It also draws about 50 or 60 hp, so that would be more power than the whole electrical system.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Oh, that makes better sense. Yes, the aftercool fuse is for the intercooler pump.
Yes this is what I was after. Anyone have a schematic or now were the power source is?
Better yet what triggers the pump to turn on? Does the engine need to be running or will it come on with the ignition "on"?

Last edited:

baustin

Yes this is what I was after. Anyone have a schematic or now were the power source is?
Better yet what triggers the pump to turn on? Does the engine need to be running or will it come on with the ignition "on"?
The pump can be set to turn on X seconds after key on in HPTuners. Depending on if there has been any tuning, the pump may come on at 0 seconds or whatever the previous owner wanted. It's not based on the engine cranking over, just the key being in the 'On' position. I think the default from my 06 was 10 seconds after 'On' and no one had tuned the engine before me.

edit: only if the value in HPTuners is set to 0 second engine run time (ERT) will it pump with the key in the 'on' position but engine not started.

Last edited:

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
The pump can be set to turn on X seconds after key on in HPTuners. Depending on if there has been any tuning, the pump may come on at 0 seconds or whatever the previous owner wanted. It's not based on the engine cranking over, just the key being in the 'On' position. I think the default from my 06 was 10 seconds after 'On' and no one had tuned the engine before me.
Im stock/no tune (as far as I know). I can leave the key "on" for 5min and the pump will not come on... The one thing I wanted to verify is that the pump worked before I filled that system with coolant. I jumped the 87 and 30 terminals on the relay and the pump comes on. But not with key on. Just wondering what triggers it.

baustin

Yeah, you're right it has to be running. I think 0 seconds is equivalent of setting it to just the 'on' key position, forgot that after changing mine. I don't have a good reason for it to be at 0 seconds but its an easy way to know if the pump works: if you hear it before the engine then the pump works, I'd never notice the sound missing once the engine is on. A couple months ago I had to replace my non-working pump.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I noticed that
Yeah, you're right it has to be running. I think 0 seconds is equivalent of setting it to just the 'on' key position, forgot that after changing mine. I don't have a good reason for it to be at 0 seconds but its an easy way to know if the pump works: if you hear it before the engine then the pump works, I'd never notice the sound missing once the engine is on. A couple months ago I had to replace my non-working pump.
View attachment 23076
I noticed tonight that the intercooler pump will not turn on unless I force it to on in VCM Scanner Controls. I see in VCM Editor the cooling intercooler pump is set to fitted but I do not have the other options. Quite odd I must be missing something.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Simple enough to wire the pump to a relay controlled by any switched power. Does the pump not run pretty much all of time the LSJ is running stock?

baustin

View attachment 23076
You might have the 'basic' view active instead of 'advanced'.
Edit -> View -> Advanced
I think you have to have a tune file open to have that menu interactive.