Whats the 8,000rpm formula?

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
I've seen a few posts recently about the 8,000rpm redline. Whats all involved to spinning these motors that high?
Im fine knowing that my turbo breathes up to factory redline. With just neutral balance shafts, whats my reccomended redline?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The LNF engine seems to be limited by pistons, then connecting rods & valves.

My LSJ is limited by PCM, which is easy to change in HP Tuners, but since my 2006 LSJ's green 32lb/hr injectors are currently at 100% duty cycle, my engine would run lean if I was to raise the max RPM. I have heard that the LSJ can go up 400RPM if you have the bigger 42lb/hour injectors that are in the 2007+ LSJs.

link to book that lists horsepower limits... not RPM, but it gives us an idea of parts strength limits. The book mentions max RPM for performance parts, but I couldn't find anything about the stock parts RPM limits.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
As @Ross stated, there are some mechanical parts that cause certain physical limits to max RPM.

All LSJs and LNFs have forged crankshaft and rods (note: Crate LNFs are typically European LHUs with non-forged rods). LSJs have forged pistons. Getting all forged rotating parts into your engine is the first part of the equation.

Getting unnecessary rotating weight out of drivetrain is important, so losing the balance shafts will help. But also losing weight in other places, like the flywheel/clutch are also as important.

Next is fueling. LSJs are easier that the fuel injectors can be sized to match fuel type (if using something other than dinosaur squeezings). The LNF option is Opel fuel injectors to increase flow by 20% and/or increasing the output of the high pressure pump - ZZP has that covered with a replacement intake cam.

Then the valve train. The valves are all capable, but the valve springs are not. These need to bumped to a higher seat pressure spring that can control the valves to keep them from floating at high RPMs. The ZZP valves are reported good for more than 7500 RPMs. Having more aggressive camshafts to enable more breathing capability above 6500-7000 RPM is also a must.

Having a shorter intake pipe before the turbo/supercharger and a better exhaust manifold and tailpipe make for less restriction on both ends of the suck-squeeze-bang-blow cycle also helps.

Keep in mind the RPM capabilities of the clutch (is it rated for 8000RPMs) and the ability of the transmission to shift at that RPM may also be limiting factors.

Having all of these go-fast parts in the engine can get it to spin up higher and produce more HP, but it also will shift the torque higher into the RPM band too - a little less fun on the street and typically a little slower for autox. But this combination would be ideal on a road course where the higher RPM capabilities would be most used.

Cnixon160

Not that I recommend it at all but I ran a SBE LAP with ZZP LE5 cams, OTTP 82lb springs, ZZP neutral balance shafts, a Chinese turbo and some DEKA 80 injectors to 8k pretty frequently with no issues, I turned it down slightly to 7900 just because it lays over pretty hard past 8k, again just to clarify I in no way recommend approaching F1 piston velocities on stock cast pistons and rods

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
I was curious.
With
-ported head
-stage 2 cams
-upgraded fuel lobe
-titanium retainers
-#82 springs
-bigger turbo
-nuetral balance shafts

I figured i wouldnt be limited to factory redline but I also didnt immediately think that I was 8k ready. I think the top end is, just not the pistons.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Why the desire to hit 8k? I would think you are out of turbo long before then?
Sorry, missed the bigger turbo, but even then what are you gaining?

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Why the desire to hit 8k? I would think you are out of turbo long before then?
Sorry, missed the bigger turbo, but even then what are you gaining?
All curiosity and knowledge. I dont even have a running car yet.

Also, im sure that this could possibly belp you in autocross to stay longer in one gear.

Last edited: