Zacm829's Track Goblin #474-07 SS/SC donor

Zacm829

Welcome to my build log, My name is Zach and I live in Lake Wylie, SC. I've been wanting to build a Goblin for a few years now and a deal popped up last summer so I had to seize the opportunity to join the community. I'll be slowly stripping my donor over the next month as I'm working a refueling outage at work. Nightshift for 5 weeks will give me plenty of time on my nights off to tear down the SS. I plan on building the Goblin with my young son, so this may be a long term project.

In October of 2022 a friend of mine found a 2007 SS with 147k miles for sale that was pretty beat up on the exterior but had a good running engine with the G85 package. He bought it and then sold it to me for what he had in it. $1800 running and driving donor.

After purchasing the donor, I started to think about the options of kit I would build when this popped up for sale in June. The original buyer of this kit ended up buying an already completed Goblin, so it worked out well for both of us, very similar to the specs I would have ordered anyway. Some friends and I drove to Florida to pick up Stage 1+ of Goblin #474.

This pretty much brings us to present day where I have just started the tear down process. I drove the cobalt a few miles before I started, runs really well but did not make much boost. Pretty sure this is associated with the dry rotted vacuum lines around the boost solenoid. Compression test backed up my assumption of a healthy engine.

I hope to have the cobalt gone by the end of April, then I can move the frame from storage and prepare for powdercoat. Looking forward to the build process, I have done a few engine swaps in BMWs and modified multiple cars and motorcycles. Like everyone else the wiring seems to concern me the most but I'm sure I can handle it. I've ridden in a LSJ and LNF goblin and now I've caught the bug. Already ordered a front wing from Talon's garage and my seats already came in!

Thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure this community will provide.

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Somebody's been to Buc-ee's!

Good luck on the build, you'll have a blast based off the pictures of your other vehicles and garage setup. I sure do miss the building stage, it went by way too fast. I also build mine with my son (12 at the time), so cherish that teaching time. Are you going to attempt your own harness work? It's not that bad. Well, looking back it wasn't that bad......

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
A triumph tt600? Nice. my second street bike was a 1999 triumph Daytona 955i. Loved that bike.
IMG_2950.jpeg

Zacm829

Somebody's been to Buc-ee's!

Good luck on the build, you'll have a blast based off the pictures of your other vehicles and garage setup. I sure do miss the building stage, it went by way too fast. I also build mine with my son (12 at the time), so cherish that teaching time. Are you going to attempt your own harness work? It's not that bad. Well, looking back it wasn't that bad......
Yeah really looking forward to piecing the project together. There is always something to tinker on in the garage so this should fit right in. I plan on doing the harness rework, I'm sure I can figure it out with enough patience and Yuengling.

A triumph tt600? Nice. my second street bike was a 1999 triumph Daytona 955i. Loved that bike.
View attachment 46118
Yessir! The TT was one of my first of many Triumphs (01 TT, 06 675, 02 955ce, 05 Speedy). Great bikes, but with the way I rode and people drove, it was time to sell them after having a kid. Hopefully the goblin will fill that motorcycle void.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yessir! The TT was one of my first of many Triumphs (01 TT, 06 675, 02 955ce, 05 Speedy). Great bikes, but with the way I rode and people drove, it was time to sell them after having a kid. Hopefully the goblin will fill that motorcycle void.
The 955i was my only triumph. I sold it to buy a used Ducati 996s that I still have, along with a few other bikes. I’d like to ride my old 955i again and ride it correctly, since my skills are much higher than they were 25 years ago.

After getting run over on the street, I do about 90% of my riding on the track now. I may still crash and get hurt, but at least someone on their phone in a car won’t take me out. Plus, the ambulance is on site, not miles away. o_O

The goblin is fun and Autocross has been a blast, but there’s nothing like hanging off the side of a bike dragging a knee. :cool:

Zacm829

Made decent progress on my nights off and before going to sleep in the morning. Bought a label maker to identify all hardware that I bagged and wires disconnected. Engine finally dropped around 7am!
20240321_231548.jpg
20240328_030526.jpg
20240401_083031.jpg
20240401_084036.jpg

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Great work so far. Labelling everything is going to be super helpful later, especially with the wiring.

PS- you have the wrong tigers banner in your shop, correct one is below. I'll still provide help (if I can) but there will be a level of disdain associated with the future posts (j/k).

Rauq

Goblin Guru
You must be the Zac that Norbert was telling me about this past weekend!

And based on this grainy screengrab from an autocross a while back, that is indeed the correct Tiger logo.

Zacm829

Engine goes on the stand this morning, already planning on doing a new clutch. Any recommendations for that is still easily drivable and can hold 300ish whp? Also planning on doing timing chain kit and water pump. Other suggestions on while you are in there?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I think everyone is going to tell you the GMPP clutch. I'm running a South Bend Stage 3 + lightweight aluminum flywheel that I got from ZZP and I love that combo, but I'm also making more than 300hp.

Make sure you get the upgraded timing chain guide bolt and the latest rev tensioner. I would imagine any new tensioner you buy is the latest and greatest at this point, but it wouldn't make sense to do a timing set and not replace the tensioner.

Zacm829

As my 6 weeks of working nightshift comes to an end I feel like I have made decent progress without waking the neighbors. Still need to pull gas tank, rear hubs and parking brake and tubes. Hope to get rid of the donor by May!

I also picked up a set of wheels for the goblin. They need to be refinished but are forged one piece to hopefully keep the weight down. 17x9 and I plan to run a 275.

Last edited: