Donor Help - Cobalt SS wont start but cranks - Thoughts?

David

I'm assuming the motor is blown. Its the one in the video at the very top of this thread. Cranks, but does not start.
So my opinion is that if your at 1600 and assuming blown motor you need a new engine which you will be at around 3900 with new engine. Now the problem is that you have to risk that everything else is in working conditions like trans,electrical etc.
I paid 3800 for a running car with 110000 miles with lots of rust but my plan is to but new engine down the road after my gives up

David

So my opinion is that if your at 1600 and assuming blown motor you need a new engine which you will be at around 3900 with new engine. Now the problem is that you have to risk that everything else is in working conditions like trans,electrical etc.
I paid 3800 for a running car with 110000 miles with lots of rust but my plan is to but new engine down the road after my gives up
Also forgot to mention i have sold as of today 1300 on parts that I'm not using so if you do the same you could be at around 300 for your donor

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
If it were me, I wouldn't pay that much for something that doesn't run. Then again, I'm the type of person who would rather pay a little more up front for something that runs, drives, and is clean. If you're looking for a bargain and willing to spend the time/money to get it running, then by all means go for it.

David

If it were me, I wouldn't pay that much for something that doesn't run. Then again, I'm the type of person who would rather pay a little more up front for something that runs, drives, and is clean. If you're looking for a bargain and willing to spend the time/money to get it running, then by all means go for it.
Totally true even if you buy a new engine you will still spend some time fixing little things here and there to make it run

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Also forgot to mention i have sold as have toady 1300 on parts that I'm not using so if you do the same you could be at around 300 for your donor
Yeah, That is one pro of getting a nicer, or non wrecked donor. more parts to sell to offset the cost.

SliderR1

Just keep in mind that the harness, ECU, etc. is set up for that engine/tranny. If the engine is blown, life will get complicated if you decide to go a different route with a different engine.

If you are mechanically inclined and have the time and money to repair a blown engine - go for it. Hell, it could be something really simple and you'd end up with a super deal. Chances are that's not the case though. Did it have any signs of being underwater?

I would tend to agree with Brian1177 and David. The engine is the centerpiece of what we need from the cobalt to make the Goblin work. My main requirement for donor purchase was running/driving. I don't have the time in my life right now to spend on sorting out a non-running donor car.

Do you have an OBD2 reader? They are like $15 on Amazon - I'd be curious to know what codes have been thrown.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
When I initially viewed the vehicle I did have a an 0B2 with me and there was a few codes for oxygen sensors. It has a clean title and is a donated vehicle as the proceeds go to charity. No signs of water damage

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Did you hear it crank? They sound different when the timing chain is broken. Hard to describe. It won't have 4 compressions and it will sound like it spins a bit faster and with less effort.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Did you hear it crank? They sound different when the timing chain is broken. Hard to describe. It won't have 4 compressions and it will sound like it spins a bit faster and with less effort.
I honestly was thinking this today and was looking into it. I think there is a pretty fair chance that's what it could be. I've got to make a decision tonight. But at this point I'm thinking I'm going to get it. For 1600, I think I could unload it and take a slight loss quickly if it's a complete mess, or part it out over time and come out about even.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If the cylinders are not scared or cracked, it may only be the pistons and valve damage. Depends on when it broke; if it was at idle, it might have survived quite well. My KTM ATV broke a woodruff key on the timing gear while I was riding it and the piston just pushed the intake valve up and didn't damage a thing. And that was under load.

The car in my garage had broke the timing chain while cranking because it was running when she stopped and later it just wouldn't start. I've haven't torn it down yet to see the damage. It will be interesting.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
How could I find out? The vin is
1G1AP18X297177900
Here is the build sheet for the VIN you supplied. It does have the G85 package.

IMG_2673.PNG

IMG_2672.PNG

I see the LSD transmissions frequently selling for $500-$1000. If the engine is bad, you can buy a complete repacement for $2200 ($2700 with a new turbo) with free shipping from zzp. It is an LDK block, which is a 3rd generation (much better) design and used in the newer Buick Regals. All you'll need from the donor car's engine is the intake, intake sensors, TB, injectors, alternator, and alternator bracket.

These SS cars literally get the **** beat out of them from their previous young owners and most of them are near or over 100k miles. It makes sense to me to budget either a partial to full diagnostic rebuild or a new long block into the build regardless whether the engine is running or not. Parts get pricey once you start having to buy them individually.

I think anything under $2000 is a completely reasonable price for a complete, non-running TC G85 Cobalt that is cosmetically sound, as all of the rest of the donor parts you need will be there and you can easily part out the remainder to make back your money.

If it were me, since it is a G85 I would jump on that in a heartbeat for $1600 and immediately order a brand new longblock with the turbo. $4300 initial investment but after parting out the leftovers you could be in your donor with new engine for a little over $3000.

I was in your shoes; missed a bid on a 2009 SS and it turned out to be a blessing as I had more time to learn about these cars and make some sounder build decisions.

Last edited:

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Here is the build sheet for the VIN you supplied. It does have the G85 package.

I see the LSD transmissions frequently selling for $500-$1000. If the engine is bad, you can buy a complete repacement for $2200 ($2700 with a new turbo) with free shipping from zzp. It is an LDK block, which is a 3rd generation (much better) design and used in the newer Buick Regals. All you'll need from the donor car's engine is the intake, intake sensors, TB, injectors, alternator, and alternator bracket.

These SS cars literally get the **** beat out of them from their previous young owners and most of them are near or over 100k miles. It makes sense to me to budget either a partial to full diagnostic rebuild or a new long block into the build regardless whether the engine is running or not. Parts get pricey once you start having to buy them individually.

I think anything under $2000 is a completely reasonable price for a complete, non-running TC G85 Cobalt that is cosmetically sound, as all of the rest of the donor parts you need will be there and you can easily part out the remainder to make back your money.

If it were me, since it is a G85 I would jump on that in a heartbeat for $1600 and immediately order a brand new longblock with the turbo. $4300 initial investment but after parting out the leftovers you could be in your donor with new engine for a little over $3000.

I was in your shoes; missed a bid on a 2009 SS and it turned out to be a blessing as I had more time to learn about these cars and make some sounder build decisions.
Thanks for sending this. As it sits now I am the winner, and I actually got it cheaper then I thought. The reserve that the seller emailed me was set to 1250, yesterday, but this morning when I logged in (intending to accept) they had lowered it to 1050. So, got pretty lucky. I am assuming with fee's that I'll end up a little higher. I know either way, I'll end up learning a lot about engines and the build process. I'll document my struggle and create a thread a bit later once i get involved.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Well, I picked it up yesterday. Copart was pretty helpful, it took a while though for them to load it up. I used a Uhaul vehicle hauler. Man, that thing was old and terrible but it got the job done.

When I got it home I looked over the super easy thing to rule out again, didn't find anything and it was getting dark. I remembered seeing a box in the trunk with a clutch in it, so I looked it over and noticed that the sellers info was on there. Which turns out to be a blessing. After a bit of googling, I found the guy who donated the vehicle. He was more then happy to tell me about the car, why he got rid of it etc. Ended up messaging back for a few hours. He's about my age, and was willing to chat / help as much as he could. Here is all the info I learned....

Some of the easy ones right off the bat:
He was the 2nd owner, he got the car at 40k miles and it had 136k when I got it. He had the car for 7 years.
He was thinking about trading in the Cobalt and he said it unexpectedly stopped running. At this point its trade in value was terrible so someone told him if he donated the vehicle, he could write off the suggested retail on his taxes. So thats what he did.
He said that he thinks its most likely the timing chain.
The car itself was tuned at 40k miles with HP tuners software. At this point he isn't what exact tune parameters were on it, but that he had been running it for about 100k miles, so he didn't think it was the tune. The modifications it has are lowering springs, sway bar, hard intercooler pipes, air intake, and lastly an new clutch (at 130k miles).

I'm hoping to pull the valve cover today to see if the chain was broke. I've never replaced one before. Hopefully I can get some help form someone who has. I think I'll have to pull the head to see if there is any damage to the valves. At that point, I'll likely change over the gaskets and ensure things are sound.

Any suggestions are welcome. If you live close feel free to lend a hand :)

Attachments

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Well, I picked it up yesterday. Copart was pretty helpful, it took a while though for them to load it up. I used a Uhaul vehicle hauler. Man, that thing was old and terrible but it got the job done.

When I got it home I looked over the super easy thing to rule out again, didn't find anything and it was getting dark. I remembered seeing a box in the trunk with a clutch in it, so I looked it over and noticed that the sellers info was on there. Which turns out to be a blessing. After a bit of googling, I found the guy who donated the vehicle. He was more then happy to tell me about the car, why he got rid of it etc. Ended up messaging back for a few hours. He's about my age, and was willing to chat / help as much as he could. Here is all the info I learned....

Some of the easy ones right off the bat:
He was the 2nd owner, he got the car at 40k miles and it had 136k when I got it. He had the car for 7 years.
He was thinking about trading in the Cobalt and he said it unexpectedly stopped running. At this point its trade in value was terrible so someone told him if he donated the vehicle, he could write off the suggested retail on his taxes. So thats what he did.
He said that he thinks its most likely the timing chain.
The car itself was tuned at 40k miles with HP tuners software. At this point he isn't what exact tune parameters were on it, but that he had been running it for about 100k miles, so he didn't think it was the tune. The modifications it has are lowering springs, sway bar, hard intercooler pipes, air intake, and lastly an new clutch (at 130k miles).

I'm hoping to pull the valve cover today to see if the chain was broke. I've never replaced one before. Hopefully I can get some help form someone who has. I think I'll have to pull the head to see if there is any damage to the valves. At that point, I'll likely change over the gaskets and ensure things are sound.

Any suggestions are welcome. If you live close feel free to lend a hand :)
The timing chain is not a hard job at all. I did mine before I pulled the engine. I'll pm you my number if you need some help and pointers.

dperkins

I too just finished my timing chain. It wasn’t that hard, and it was definitely harder than most because it was a full rebuild and not just a replacement, meaning all the things were out of alignment like the cams and sprocket. There is a very good YouTube video on how to do it. It’s pretty much the same process for any NA, SC, or TC engine.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I too just finished my timing chain. It wasn’t that hard, and it was definitely harder than most because it was a full rebuild and not just a replacement, meaning all the things were out of alignment like the cams and sprocket. There is a very good YouTube video on how to do it. It’s pretty much the same process for any NA, SC, or TC engine.
I opened the valve cover and checked it out. It looks like the tensioner or the guide broke. The chain is intact. There is enough slack that when bumping the motor off with the valve cover off, i can see that its basically skipping on the intake manifold cam gear.

Right now my main hold up is that his engine is an interference motor which means things could have collided if the timing was off and it was ran. The owner told me that when it happened he had stopped for gas, turned the car on and it started running really sluggish, he babied it home...tuned the car off he never got it started again.

Do you guys think I should just reset the timing and replace those type of parts? Or do you think I need to remove and inspect the head?

I'm feeling in over my head at this point.