Alex and the Extended City Frame - 08 Sport/Automatic Donor

Bretter

8/11/19 Next Up? Inspection and License!

We have not done many updates over the last 8 months. Occasionally working on the car and over the last several weeks a big push to get things done. You see, Alex is leaving for school in a couple weeks so we have to get it done before he goes!

The result? Take and look and let us know what you think! :)

IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1418.JPG
IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG

Bretter

We finally managed to get the car registered, inspected, probed, poked, evaluated, shown, seen and tested. The path to getting a Texas license is complicated and filled with officials that know what is going on and filled with officials that don't know what is going on. See the next post from Alex - he did a magnificent job of driving to get everything done and registered.

The good side is that he spent so much time driving the car afterwards that it took some time to get it all written up!

If you have any questions on how we managed to get through it, please ask - we will gladly help!

Bretter

DMV

1. Form 130-U: Application for Texas Title and/or Registration
    1. Apply for Title and Registration
    2. The body type is “Roadster”
    3. There is a small fee that must be paid in cash or with a check to the DMV
  2. Government-issued Photo ID
  3. Photographs of the front, rear, and sides of the vehicle
  4. Certificate of Origin
    1. This proves ownership of all the parts provided in the kit and satisfies the “VIN” requirement on the assembled vehicle checklist
  5. Bill of Sale/Invoice for Donor Car
    1. This proves ownership for all of the parts collected from the donor car
  6. Form VTR-64: ASE safety inspection
    1. Completing the kit will pretty much cover all of the items except for the windshield wipers
    2. We told our inspector to put N/A for the windshield and windshield wipers because it is technically a “wind deflector”
    3. QualTech Automotive is used to dealing with VTR-64 forms so they were really helpful for this process
  7. Copy of the master technician’s ASE certification
    1. The shop should give this to you after the inspection is complete
  8. Certified weight certificate
    1. This was the most annoying part to complete because finding a certified weigh station near my house was difficult
    2. Most people told us to look for a truck stop or moving company near us but we ended up going CMC recycling at 290 and I-35 in Austin to get this
  9. Vehicle inspection report
    1. For some reason you have to get the state inspection on top of the VTR-64 inspection
    2. This can be done as if it were as normal vehicle at any certified shop, but the vehicle must be weighed before the inspection takes place because the gross weight is required
    3. We did both inspections separately, but it might be possible to weigh the vehicle and get both inspections done at the same time
  10. Form VTR-61: Rebuilt Vehicle Statement
    1. This form just asks for the name and address for the origin of most of the main vehicle parts like the frame, motor, and transmission.
    2. Put the DF Kit Car name and address with the “part number” which is generally just the name of the part listed on the receipt for all items that were provided with the kit
    3. Put the address where the donor vehicle was purchased from and include the VIN number and the name of the part under part number
    4. Make sure to mention taking the electronics from the Cobalt under the work performed
  11. Copy of Cobalt Title
    1. The DMV needed proof that our name was on the Cobalt title at some point
    2. The tax office also asked us for a copy of the back of the title the first time we went, but since the title was destroyed we decided to go back and got someone new who didn’t ask for a copy of the back

Tax Office

To get the license plate and registration sticker, just take everything you brought to the DMV along with the letter they provide to the tax office. Due to all of the COVID stuff happening, they say appointments only but they still take walk-ins all day. DF Kit Car collects sales tax on the kit so make sure they don’t make you pay an extra 6.25% on top of that based on the estimated value of the car. It ended up costing something around $100 for all of the registration and title fees. Finally, it took them over an hour and a half to finish the paperwork because very few people go through the assembled vehicle registration process so you’re going to have to be patient with them.

Notes:
  1. The DMV took more than 2 weeks to finish the paperwork despite multiple visits and calls
  2. The VIN will be DFGB#### with the #’s representing your frame number. The VIN will have to be inputted as 17 digits, so whoever puts it into the system has to add 9 zeros before it (000000000DFGB####)
  3. The DMV has to input the manufacture as “Assembled Vehicle” if they can’t chose “DF Kit Car”
  4. We decided to just drive the car to the weigh station and inspections instead of using a trailer, but it always helps to call the sheriff’s department beforehand to be able to say you asked them. Just know that at least in Travis County, they are required to impound vehicles with salvage titles so it is important to make the distinction between the Goblin and the Cobalt

Bretter

We are licensed - we have insurance - we are good to go!

Now we need to find a track nearby to go have some fun - are there any tracks still running on weekends or whatever during "the vid" time? Or any coming soon?

Thanks!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
We are licensed - we have insurance - we are good to go!

Now we need to find a track nearby to go have some fun - are there any tracks still running on weekends or whatever during "the vid" time? Or any coming soon?

Thanks!
Congrats!!!
Driveway Austin is a great little private track. Justin JSATX has been there as well.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Basically the same here, but once I had all the paperwork ready, it was an appointment at the dmv regional office that took an hour to go over the paperwork. It only took 3 days to get my “cover letter” from the dmv, though. I picked it up and went to my local tag office and in about 30 minutes, I had plates. :cool:

I got my certified weight at the local feed store. 2 different Cat scales I went to, couldn’t weigh the goblin because it was too light.

Can’t wait to hit the track. They are still open. I have been to MSRH twice this year, on the race bike.