Dre city Goblin build - 06 LS Donor

Dre

Stupid me... they actually covered it with a little hard piece of material. I thought it was sprayed. Guess not.

Dre

Did a little more work today. Put on the rear shocks but not bolted down, the rear hub and knuckle, and some brake lines for the front. The rear were rusted so bad i had to order some new ones.

Attachments

Dre

I connected the wires in the car again and turned the key... the car primed and the throttle moved. Once i tried to start it, there was a spark and then nothing again. I guess the problem is somewhere around the fuse block. Also note that i didn't have the instrument panel plugged in.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I think you have a ground problem.
Remove one of the transmission mounting bolts and grind away the powder coating so that when you reinstall the bolt the head of the bolt will make contact to the frame. A lock washer under each bolt head may help cut through the powder coating if you don't want to grind off the powder coating.

Reactions: Dre

Nilbog

Lonny - are there other "non-grounding wire" locations (like under the transmission bolt) we should proactively ensure connection to frame that you are aware of?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The only other place that powder coating could cause a grounding issue is the pedal box.

If the powder coating insulates the pedal box and then you run grounds to the pedal box you could have a ground problem.

We have not had a problem with the engine or pedal boxes being insulated with any of our builds but we believe one of our customers had an engine ground problem.

We are going to add a ground lug to the transmission mount so builders can run the original engine ground wire to the frame.

It still leaves the pedal box as a potential grounding issue. If someone suspects they may have a grounding problem they could run a large wire from the pedal box to the battery ground cable.

Dre

I used rattle can spray paint for my pedal box and tested the ground with a multimeter and it looks good. I also removed the large ground wire on the engine. I was thinking about connecting it in between the engine and one of the transmission bolts to see what happens.... I'll update yall when I get home.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
The only other place that powder coating could cause a grounding issue is the pedal box.

If the powder coating insulates the pedal box and then you run grounds to the pedal box you could have a ground problem.

We have not had a problem with the engine or pedal boxes being insulated with any of our builds but we believe one of our customers had an engine ground problem.

We are going to add a ground lug to the transmission mount so builders can run the original engine ground wire to the frame.

It still leaves the pedal box as a potential grounding issue. If someone suspects they may have a grounding problem they could run a large wire from the pedal box to the battery ground cable.
Great idea on the lugs. I will add some prior to my powdercoat.
brfollow

Dre

Thanks for the tips Lonny and friends. Ha ha... on a side note, I used the trunk light to test some of the lights and blinkers.

terryjr

So i see you guess keep the electric power steering. Is there any drag on the steering if the unit isnt working or not supplied power? I heard there may be a standalone version in the Saturn Vue's that dont require a BCM input. Asking for myself really, I have an interest in using a GM power steering setup in my exotruck, but would like to deactivate it at cruise speed.

George

Goblin Guru
If the power goes out it takes 2 people to turn wheel fast enough to drive. Also it requires a lot of caster to make the steering wheel return to center.

Brad

Dre

Does the kit come with seat belt hardware?
Also, i got my supply of waterproof connectors and started to put them on. I replaced the pigtails on the tail lights and the connectors for the blinkers on the side mirrors.

Attachments

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Seat belts or harnesses? If you're talking about harnesses, the harness package will come with hardware that will bolt one of the lap belts for driver/passenger to the tunnel. You'll need to provide your own hardware for the other belt parts. At least I had to. It might have just been forgotten in the kit. I just hard bolted mine to the tabs.

Dre

I wired up the tail light blinker and backup light. I noticed that the tail lights are not on at all even when it's dark. I used the black, yellow and light blue for the left. I used the black, dark green, and light blue for the right. Do i need to use the brown wire?