HP Tuners

Ross

Goblin Guru
My radiator fan has never turned on by temperature.
I tested the relay, and it turns on, so the motor works.
Then I was playing in HP Tuners, and found that I could turn it on by changing the Fan Output 1, Current State 0, to 1 (step 4 below).
Fan Output 2 & 3 did nothing to the radiator fan.

Once it turned on, I tried to turn it off by changing tables 1, 2 and 3 to "Fan Desired %" to zero..
but nothing I changed would turn off the fan. I had to go back to step 4(above) to turn it off.

So HP Tuners can turn on the fan if the fan output is set to 1 for the current state of 0.
The fan turns on 100% full speed, no matter what...
Weird.
I don't know what to do next to fix this.
I don't understand what the "states" 0-7 are.
What does HP Tuners use to determine that the state has transistioned from 0->1?
My car doesn't seem to change states.
The front dash knows the engine temperature, and watching that, I have succeeded in getting the engine temp up to 210F, when the car is left idling while parked. Driving it brings it down to 180F. So the car isn't overheating, but it doesn't try to use the fan.
Any ideas?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I could be wrong but I don't think the states 1-7 do anything. I think the fan is either on off. I only say that because the turbo fans are put into low speed mode by putting the two in series with relays. High speed mode is when they are in parallel. There are no other in between speeds.

From what I'm reading the LSJ fans kick on around ~220 F. When the temp gets that high, the fan desired is around 53 which changes the state to 1 which kicks the fan on.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
My car has only turned the fan on only two times in 700 miles that I know of. I have done the idle thing also up to 211 and tested by jumping the relay also. The day I took it to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix it was 99 degrees The fan never came on temp never got above 205. About a month ago I went to a parade I heard it come on twice that day during the parade temp at that time was up to 209. So I know it works now.

During that parade a guy with a 64 Impala was behind me I could hear his fan screaming and him holding the rpm's up to keep good flow. Then I heard a loud pop. I guess he had the a/c on and it made enough head pressure on the high side to blow the hose apart. It scared the **** out of me when that hose came apart.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I could be wrong but I don't think the states 1-7 do anything. I think the fan is either on off. I only say that because the turbo fans are put into low speed mode by putting the two in series with relays. High speed mode is when they are in parallel. There are no other in between speeds.

From what I'm reading the LSJ fans kick on around ~220 F. When the temp gets that high, the fan desired is around 53 which changes the state to 1 which kicks the fan on.
So my "Fan Type" is set to Discrete. I wonder if all the extra tables are for when "Fan Type" is set to Pulse Width Modulation Electric?

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm curious to know if PWM would even work. It's possible that the software fields are showing options that aren't even supported by your particular ECM. I bet PWM won't work.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You could probably test your fan coming on with a temp input by changing your 0->1 fan desired from 53 to something like 13. That should make it turn on around 200 F.

Ross

Goblin Guru
You could probably test your fan coming on with a temp input by changing your 0->1 fan desired from 53 to something like 13. That should make it turn on around 200 F.
Interesting. You correlated the 53 to the ECT table. I'll try setting it to 0, and see if it turns on at 192F.

The ECT table description:
[ECM] 18030 - Fan Desired % vs. ECT: Desired Fan percentage for a given engine coolant temperature.

I was thinking that Fan Desired % was the percentage of fan speed,
but maybe it means percentage of thermister resistance for a given engine temperature.

Last edited:

BAR-AIR

Not to clutter your post. I’m going to be tearing “BLUE” a part this winter swapping out the 1,000 mile SC’ed 2.2 it your interested...

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I'm not sure the 4.2 is all that accurate. I have only owned the dragy for 1/2 a day, and did 4 pulls. I am not that great at doing hard starts on unprepared roads and paint lines never help... unless you are trying to get rear steer. :0

I'm looking forward to doing a performance rebuild on the LSJ, one of the reasons I bought the LSJ is it's a good strong block for building, plus it has some forged internals.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My fan works!
I'm not sure why Chevy set the stock fan temperature to turn on at 223F, but I was able to reduce it to 192F, and it turns off the fan at 173F.
So my wiring has passed the fan test. It was just a setting issue.
Now that I know it works, I wonder if my thermostat is working, or if it is stuck open. The engine normally runs around 180F. Is that normal?

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Having a thermostat that is stuck open won't change the operating temperature. It will just change how long it takes to get up to that operating temp. Mine will get up to 188 degrees within a few miles.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Having a thermostat that is stuck open won't change the operating temperature. It will just change how long it takes to get up to that operating temp. Mine will get up to 188 degrees within a few miles.
So your car's normal temp is 188F? How much variance would you guess it has?
My car's temperature varies a fair bit... just not sure what is normal for this.
The thermostat shouldn't run wide open unless you are climbing a big hill, pulling a trailer, or constantly on the supercharger... You want some excess cooling so that the thermostat can regulate the coolant flow and therefor temperature.

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
If I'm driving around, it rarely gets above 190. My fan comes on at 205, and I've had it come on a couple of times after idling for a few minutes in hot weather.