Rauq's Twincharged LSJ in SC - #240 - GOBZILA

Rauq

Goblin Guru
For anyone who doesn't have an LSD but wants one, the two cheapest ways to accomplish the task are to find an LSD equipped F35 or to swap to an F23 that you install an LSD into. Been a while since I have seen an F23 Quaife this cheap. I endorse this swap.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
For anyone who doesn't have an LSD but wants one, the two cheapest ways to accomplish the task are to find an LSD equipped F35 or to swap to an F23 that you install an LSD into. Been a while since I have seen an F23 Quaife this cheap. I endorse this swap.

Too bad its not "Buy It Now". I tried to buy one directly from Quaife last night and my card got declined because blah blah overseas purchase suspicious activity. I was gunna call the bank today to get that sorted out. I think its ~$900 after shipping/taxes/conversion if I remember correctly.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I have a Turbosmart actuator on the supercharger bypass that I got dialed in when it was SC only so we'll see if it remains effective with a turbo.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nice! This has been my long term goal... It just made sense to me to use the stock supercharger rather than delete it.
It will help spool up the turbo while instantly providing boost.

I am planning on having the supercharger bypass valve start opening once the turbo is producing more than 12 PSI of boost.
Which is in addition to the stock bypass actuator function, which closes when the PCM is requesting boost.
You don't have to run it that way, if you leave the bypass stock, you will be twin charging the intake air. I just wanted to get the 50HP back that the supercharger uses, and let the turbo do all the work at the top end of the RPM.

Where did you run the lines to the top and bottom air chambers on the Turbosmart bypass actuator?
Have you already installed a twin charged tune on your engine? I would love to see that tune!

Rauq

Goblin Guru

Still tuning so not pushing it hard, but I was able to generally validate that the supercharger bypass actuator is working as intended. Below the actuator you can see its linkage which visually indicates its status. It's open (up) at idle, then in the absence of manifold vacuum (first touch of the throttle), closes (with some supercharger noises!), and then gradually opens again as the turbo builds boost. I was completely guessing where the pressure regulator was set; I aimed for something low, and with a 6psi spring in the turbo wastegate, it doesn't make more than 10psi total (60% throttle at 3500 rpms!). That generally indicates that I'm still compounding up to 10psi, where the pressure regulator eventually opens the supercharger bypass. I will dial in the pre-actuator regulators now that I've validated general functionality. Target is to have the actuator fully open at about 14-15psi which is about where the SC was by itself with the 2.9" pulley.

On a related note, am I totally missing something or is supercharger inlet pressure (SCIP) not a channel I can log in HP Tuners?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I have a Tru Boost that's not yet installed, once that's set up I'm targeting 16psi on low boost and 24 on high. I plan to run both the factory boost gauge and the Tru Boost- the factory gauge will show boost either made by the supercharger or compounded, and the tru boost will show only turbo boost. It'll be fun to watch them not always be the same. Besides wiring the tru boost, I'll also have to see if I can design a 3d printed mount to cram all three gauges (2 boost plus WB) under the hood. Might rig up the scramble as well for a few more psi. The Tru Boost will be the only electronic boost control on the car, the factory boost solenoid isn't being used.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Is the LSJ one of the ECM’s that have a hard coded limit of 255 kpa?
Yeah the factory MAP is a 2.5bar sensor, the VE table runs out at 215kpa, and the factory boost gauge pegs out at 20psi... I have the MAF in a 4" housing so I'll have to figure out when/where I exceed 215kpa and disable dynamic air and run MAF only above that point. Just hoping I can do this within the factory 512g/s limit or I'll have to start scaling. Not sure how realistic that is.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'll probably end up posting over on the HP Tuners forum as well, but does anyone know if I can log SCIP on my LSJ? Either it's not there in the list of available channels or it is and I'm just not seeing it.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You probably have already done it but have you re-polled the parameters? It also may just show up as a map sensor.