Shadow Lou Racing, street,track,autocross Goblin

George

Goblin Guru
I could always put the wing off my ambulance on the goblin, that would hold it down. As for air flow in cabin with the front fire wall and the angle of the windshield great improvements have been made, My next endeavor is to make a new windscreen that is wider so that it can be bowed more out ward to make the air go around the sides. It will also be about 2" taller.

Attachments

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
I trying different things to create less wind resistance and promote better air flow in and around the cabin area.

Brad

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I trying different things to create less wind resistance and promote better air flow in and around the cabin area.

Brad
Maybe adding NACA ducts to direct air into and pressurize the cockpit area? Entering the footwell area?
I saw that Ariel Atom does something similar when reviewing some of their aero modeling.
I've thought of adding those ducts with adjustable interior nozzles with a damper.
A temporary airflow restrictor clamped to the NACA duct output could easily be made using PVC pipe reducers for testing purposes? Or a block off using a PVC end cap, if no air was wanted. Like when it gets colder out.
I don't know, just kicking around ideas. I need a body on mine before I can test myself. :)

George

Goblin Guru
Maybe adding NACA ducts to direct air into and pressurize the cockpit area? Entering the footwell area?
I saw that Ariel Atom does something similar when reviewing some of their aero modeling.
I've thought of adding those ducts with adjustable interior nozzles with a damper.
A temporary airflow restrictor clamped to the NACA duct output could easily be made using PVC pipe reducers for testing purposes? Or a block off using a PVC end cap, if no air was wanted. Like when it gets colder out.
I don't know, just kicking around ideas. I need a body on mine before I can test myself. :)
For the hot weather I am good at my feet and legs. Thought about installing a valive to let radiator heat in for cold weather

Brad

Dre

Just some things i learned while being an aerodynamics engineer (like how i put that there) for a short stint... for air flow around a vehicle you want as less restrictions as possible for air flow and push air around the car, not underneath. Also use rounded shapes as much as possible. Y'all may already know this

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’ve been contemplating this. Its gets very hot here in AZ.

George

Goblin Guru
Which bulbs did you go with, and how do you like them?
JW Speaker 8630, Have not driven it yet it raining for about the last four days. Maybe Sunday it will dry out.
I have pictures or the DF lights with 30/60w bulbs at night, will post when I and take picture of the new lights to compare at night

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Blocking the air from coming in from the radiator helps a lot. If you are running the DF windshield setup it brings a lot of hot air off the engine at speed.

Brad

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Blocking the air from coming in from the radiator helps a lot. If you are running the DF windshield setup it brings a lot of hot air off the engine at speed.

Brad
I do plan to deflect the radiator air. I’m not a fan of using the NACA ducts for the heat exchanger, but it seems it would work well for comfort ventilation.

The JW Speakers are great bulbs; perhaps the best from what I’ve read.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The ducts would be twofold. One, to bring in fresh air. (This would be with the foot box blocked off from the radiator)
2) To fill the cockpit with air, creating a positive/high pressure area. For air to flow out of the cockpit and not into it. So as to help eliminate air flowing backwards from the engine compartment. Its difficult to explain in a few words, so sorry for being long winded here.
The windshield deflecting air over and around the open cockpit creates a parachute effect. (Low pressure behind it) If you can direct some air flow into the cockpit, say the footwell area, it can help keep the air moving over and around the windshield (fast moving high pressure air) and keep from dumping/tumbling into the cockpit. It won't have the low pressure area it wants to flow to. How much air we'll need to do this is the unknown part.
See the upper pic and you can see the green trail of air heading into the cockpit towards the knees. Note the air coming over the short windscreen/deflector, skimming the top of the helmet. It doesn't seem to be a lot of air to do this.
message-editor%2F1531332200517-arielatomaero.jpg

George, I also think you had mentioned somewhere in your posts about building a diffuser. Have you given that a try yet?
I'm thinking that sealing the area underneath the engine/subframe, from the firewall back behind the engine could help as well.

Just putting ideas out there.
I'm not an aerodynamis' by any means, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn! :p

George

Goblin Guru
I agree with all of your principles on aero dynamics. I have found the more you can lay the windscreen back the better, it has to be a little taller than supplied.
I have not worked on the diffuser or lower side skirts. Still not happy with my suspension setup.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
It is much better, it drives like a dream smooth and predictable until you take it to the max plus. It gets loose. Working on the correct balance.

Brad