SliderR1's Track Goblin - 05 SS/SC

SliderR1

Some slow progress over the last couple of weeks. I'm nearly finished with cleaning and painting:

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4225.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

SliderR1

Here are some more:

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

The soda blasting really cleaned up the intercooler/intake manifold well!
IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

I noticed the rear main seal was ever so slightly leaking, so I replaced it with a new Fel Pro seal and made this little tool to seat it in without having to beat on it.
IMG_4261.JPG

Here is the ZZP aluminum flywheel. I'm having issues with getting the stock type Exedy clutch to mount to it - none of the bolt holes on the pressure plate line up with the flywheel in any of the possible three positions - gonna talk with ZZP about that today. The flywheel bolts are from ARP and were an Opel/Vauxhaul part. There is a lot of discussion on the CSS board about the other ARP bolts made for the Cobalt that don't work because the bolt head is too thick, these fit great and don't rub the clutch disc.
IMG_4262.JPG

Laminova cores were nasty...
IMG_4277.JPG

SliderR1

I do have one really good excuse for one of the weekends I didn't do any work - I got to attend the Ron Fellows Corvette Driving School at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch near Las Vegas. It was a blast! I got to drive the living daylights out of a 2018 C7 Grand Sport for two days. It was amazing to me how much faster a car like that can corner vs. a sportbike. I've done hundreds of trackdays and a little amateur racing on two wheels, but the four wheel stuff has me hooked now...

May 1, 2018, COS,North South Track.jpg

SMI_2645.jpg

SMI_2724.jpg

SMI_3368.jpg

SMI_3389.jpg

They had just recently taken delivery of some new 2019 ZR1s...
IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4210.JPG

IMG_4211.JPG

IMG_4212.JPG

This was the GS I drove the first day.
IMG_4217.JPG

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I do have one really good excuse for one of the weekends I didn't do any work - I got to attend the Ron Fellows Corvette Driving School at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch near Las Vegas. It was a blast! I got to drive the living daylights out of a 2018 C7 Grand Sport for two days. It was amazing to me how much faster a car like that can corner vs. a sportbike. I've done hundreds of trackdays and a little amateur racing on two wheels, but the four wheel stuff has me hooked now...

View attachment 3889

View attachment 3890

View attachment 3891

View attachment 3892

View attachment 3893

They had just recently taken delivery of some new 2019 ZR1s...
View attachment 3894

View attachment 3895

View attachment 3896

View attachment 3897

This was the GS I drove the first day.
View attachment 3898
Excuses, excuses........I want an excuse.:)
Looks like a fun couple of days!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
On the transmission I had to grind quite a lot out of the counter weight on the shift arm. You might want to double check that clearance while it’s still out and you can repaint it.

George

Goblin Guru
I did not remove the paint on mine and had to take the transmission out to clean it off because it would not release.

Brad

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I installed the flydenza aluminum flywheel with the green friction surface. I did not have any issues. I'm sure it was gone the first time I drove it lol.

Nuker-

SliderR1

That coating was a PITA to get off the flywheel. I ended up using a scotchbrite pad and brake clean.

So the pressure plate and clutch disc that was on this car did NOT fit the aluminum flywheel from ZZP. Both pieces were Exedy parts, and I'm assuming were matched to the flywheel that was on the engine. I ended up just buying a new upgraded LSJ clutch kit and it fit the flywheel perfectly. I now have an extra throwout bearing that I'll sell if anyone needs one.

Got a little more engine assembly completed over the long weekend. I'm glad that someone mentioned clocking the laminova tubes in another thread becuase I forgot. Once I got that taken care of, I installed the intake with the new phenolic intake spacer. I also made a little fuel injector cleaner with a syringe and a 9 Volt battery - worked like a charm. Progress is slow but steady...

IMG_4285.JPG

IMG_4287.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG

IMG_4289.JPG

SliderR1

Been at it hard for the last three days and have some progress to add to this thread.

Engine is basically finished now - just need to add some sheathing to the harness when my order is delivered.

IMG_4321.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG

IMG_4323.JPG

So I accomplished a pretty big milestone yesterday and got both the radiator hoses installed in the lower frame tubes, by myself. I did have a little help with a John Deere tractor. Didn't even take 1 minute to pull them through with it.

IMG_4325.JPG

Once that was finished I started assembly on the actual car. I think things are going to go a lot faster now!

IMG_4328.JPG

On a side note, I haven't ridden my motorcycle one time since I started this project. Last weekend was an anuual rally I do with the FZ09.org community over near Burnsville, NC. Had an absolute blast and it was great to get away from the build for a few days.

IMG_4310.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Looks great!

Be careful about the MAP sensor plugs, there are two of them, one for the intake and one for barometric. The plugs can physically plugged into either one but they are supposed to be plugged in to the proper sensor. One wire color is different, sorry I don't remember the colors, I looked them up to make sure I had them correct.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Sure are gutsy tying up to the support pole. o_O

Funny because I used our JD to pull them through also but tied the frame the hitch on the truck.

SliderR1

Got a lot done this weekend.

Engine is in now. Engine cooling system is hooked up. Now working on a custom mount for the fuse box - I has similar issues that others have mentioned about getting it to fit in the as designed location. A simple tab should fix that.

My radiator mounts were quite a ways off. Spent some time getting that fixed. Engine mounts lined up great!

IMG_4333.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

SliderR1

Thanks! Engine is PJ1 Fast Black from rattle cans. Its pricey but lays down really nice for a rattle can...

Frame is powder coat - Tiger Drylac brand, color is Bengal Red.

SliderR1

Got some progress to add.

I've been working on the car quite a bit lately. I'm up to the point of starting her up. The fuel pump and gauges all seem to be working, but I have the dreaded no movement from the throttle body butterfly.

I figured it was broken comm wires, as is the usual suggestion to everyone with an in-op TB, or a bad ground somewhere. I went back through all the ground points and REALLY cleaned up the powder coating and ensured everything was tight. Checked the ground and comm wires and continuity was good.

Started checking voltages next. I started at the TB and checked the APP Sensor 2 signal and it was good. So, I continue checking and discover that the APP sensor 1 is bad on the accelerator. I wanted to share this because I've had a similar problem that others have had, but the source was different. I figured the problem was probably something I had soldered backwards or missed, but it was a bad sensor on the accelerator. And then I remembered the time I dropped the pedal box....since the sensor was working when I bought the car. Had to have been when it broke.

For future reference, this sensor can be checked by hooking one multi-meter lead to the 5V power pin on the accelerator plug and the other lead to the signal pin. Signal 1 and Signal 2 are the outer most two pins on the plug. Set your multi-meter to read Ohms and as you move the gas pedal the reading should be somewhat linear. If it jumps around or is flat for a section, the sensor is bad.

As I was leaving the shop last night, I saw my laptop and thought, DUH! I double checked with HPtuners and it confirmed my suspicion, codes for bad APP sensor... I should have done that first! Anyway - hope this helps someone down the road...