Aftermarket solid shifter?

Ross

Goblin Guru
You are doing great. I am so looking forward to the parts arriving.

Thats a lot of extra work for not a lot of reward, theres far more slop in the shifter...
Yeah, I didn't really think that all the way out... but you are working it!
Until I get the parts in my hands, it is hard to see how everything will align.

Attachments

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Why not just attach the cable to the same side Of the bell crank that the shifter is attached to? Mine has multiple holes, does yours not? Just have two studs next to each other
F8726018-5986-4003-AC44-1C7D4126AB4B.jpeg

Edit: I see that’s kinda what you already did. But I was thinking on top of the pivot so the angle to the shifter isn’t so steep

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Reversing plate seems to work without having to make a goofy connecting rod so far. Going to refine the reversing plate a little more, test was out of 14 gauge steel, a little too weak, but promising so far.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The RSX shifter arrived today, allowing me to plan a way to connect it to the F35 transmission.

I would like to leave the shifter with the cables exiting towards the transmission (backwards from the RSX), then
directly attach the cables to the shifter. This introduces 2 challenges:
1. the left/right movement is backwards for the current cable, and
2. the shifter knob is too far forward for ergonomics.

1. Proposed way to reverse the cable: attach the cable from the other side. The picture above shows the stock Goblin tranny cables, and the red line would be one way to connect the cable so that it is reversed. Hope to use the shorter Cobalt cable for this cable routing. Will need to fabricate a custom cable retainer off the transmission mount.

2. Move the shifter base closer to the seats, so you don't have to reach so far. Probably going to remove the extra inch on the base that isn't being used, as it will reduce interference with the sliding seats.
Or maybe make a custom bent shifter shaft, that moves the knob closer to the driver.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
The Cobalt shifter cables are 44" and 46" long, which is too short, as I need a 6' cable. The Goblin cable is about 8' long... guess it could work. I wonder how long the honda cables are...

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
If you guys (Ross or JSATX or anyone else doing a RSX shifter) want a base that retains the stock mounting location let me know. Happy to make them to where you want the RSX shifter to bolt into at. Attached a PDF of the base I made, if you wanted to mock a base up. Print 1:1 on 8.5x11 it should be accurate. DXF linked below, you can modify as needed and send it to me and I'd be happy to make it for you, or you can send it out.

Ross you might be able to find the exact shift cable you need from Midwest Control. They have a really good selection. https://midwestcontrol.com/shop/products/push-pull-cables

Attachments

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
The Cobalt shifter cables are 44" and 46" long, which is too short, as I need a 6' cable. The Goblin cable is about 8' long... guess it could work. I wonder how long the honda cables are...
Check with a local big truck parts shop. They usually can make custom cables. A lot of truck hydraulic systems use cables.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Thanks guys. Good references for shifter cables. DC Money, Nice offer for the base plate!

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Got the shifter all hooked up and tested, need more spring tension and to install the set screws for the bushing to get the right amount of resistance between the shifter ball and bushings, but it still feels way better than the OEM plastic garbage. Going to move the whole assembly back another inch or two closer to the driver as well. 5th gear is a reach currently.

Noticed 5th gear is difficult to find, throw it all the way right and it goes into reverse easily but 5th is slightly left of full push to the right. Thought about it for a second and it makes sense. With the F35s shifter you have a reverse lockout that stops you from going full throw to the right, it falls into 5th but won’t go into reverse until you lift up on the lock out, allowing you to throw it further right and into reverse. Plan right now is to experiment with a plate that bolts to the top of the RSX assembly to make 5th and reverse more gated and put the shifter in the right spot for 5th.

K Tuned has a 5th gear lock for this shifter (not sure if it’s a direct bolt on part being a Chinese clone) that could probably could be modified to act as a stop for the 5th gear position but also a reverse lock out as well.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I painted my custom shifter parts today. Friday I had a chance to test the shifting while sitting in the shop, and adjust the cables.
So far it has a nice tight feel to it. Tomorrow I can put a final coat of paint on them, maybe Tuesday, take it for a drive. I'm still collecting more video footage.

Here is the link to the build video

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
That is Goblin chin insulation. Haven't seen it for a decade, but it looks a little different now.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The new shifter is working now. Got to take it for a couple of test drives. My chin wasn't insulated enough for a 41F day, but I was having too much fun to worry about it.

Wow! It shifts nice and crisply now. Yes, 5th is a little harder to find, but it only takes an extra second until I get use to it.
Overall, I love it. Build video coming in a week or so.