CodyP's Extended Track Goblin - 06' SS/SC #296

CodyP

The dash is out and ready for disassembly! Tomorrow I'll try to get the harness out as well. It's been a while since I've pulled trim pieces and panels of of a car. Some of those dash/panel pieces were sharp.
D0B2612E-F87B-40F8-BFE0-669E7ECE7B85.jpeg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I saw that when I was looking through that post originally. However I didn't want to order and have to wait for a special tool that'll never get used again for anything else. I only broke one and it was harbor junk. Got a new one for 3 dollars from Home Depot. I ended up stripping out the last bolt on the seat belt reel and taking the cutting wheel to it. All good now!
it’s all good. When you work on these things for a living, you know the tricks and buy all the special tools. To help get those bolts out you can add some heat to melt the loctite and make it a lot easier.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
No, you just save the clutch pedal box, no need to cut it up.

*edit* Oooof .... wait. My early-model donor did not look like that. I'm confused.

Last edited:

CodyP

No, you just save the clutch pedal box, no need to cut it up.

*edit* Oooof .... wait. My early-model donor did not look like that. I'm confused.
The brake and gas pedal came out as one sub unit. This "box" holding the clutch pedal is all spot welded in different areas essentially a part of the whole frame. :(

Northshoresaint

Do I need to save the frame from the clutch pedal? Or do I just remove the clutch pedal? There's no info in the videos about it. It's all welded together so I'm wondering if I need to cut it all free?
Here’s a nice pic from Ross that shows the small half frame

CodyP

If you take out the bolt that runs through the middle of the clutch pedal, it should let the small frame piece come loose so you can take it out.
Good call. Thank you! Don't know why I waited to remove every nut and bolt before assuming it was all connected. Here are some pictures for future reference of the clutch pedal box assembly.

Attachments

CodyP

I am 100% done with stripping the donor as far as the videos are concerned. I feel like I have read some things in the past about parts that were needed that weren't included in the videos, but I don't remember what they were. I didn't pull the rear hubs because I ordered the 5x114.3 hubs with my kit. I pulled the parking brake and cables even though my kit is supposed to come with one, because I'm not sure if I'll need any parts from it. Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I may need before I cut this thing up and send it to the scrap yard? Do I need the evap parts to get registered in Texas?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
You'll re-use the parking brake, the cables, and the cable tubes. The kit comes with Solstice calipers for the rear, and if I remember correctly, different rotors.

Northshoresaint

For what its’s worth my advice is to keep everything you can find a place for. Anything that’s obviously not needed discard, but connectors, wiring, bolts, small metal and plastic pieces, etc...find a place to store them. You can always junk them later.

CodyP

For what its’s worth my advice is to keep everything you can find a place for. Anything that’s obviously not needed discard, but connectors, wiring, bolts, small metal and plastic pieces, etc...find a place to store them. You can always junk them later.
I'm limited on space. And I'm trying to keep my woman happy. I'm trying to make it work but every inch of real estate helps.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
You have the same style clutch pedal as I do, So you will have to modify it to look something like this if you are putting a hood on.

20210302_200148.jpg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I am 100% done with stripping the donor as far as the videos are concerned. I feel like I have read some things in the past about parts that were needed that weren't included in the videos, but I don't remember what they were. I didn't pull the rear hubs because I ordered the 5x114.3 hubs with my kit. I pulled the parking brake and cables even though my kit is supposed to come with one, because I'm not sure if I'll need any parts from it. Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I may need before I cut this thing up and send it to the scrap yard? Do I need the evap parts to get registered in Texas?
If you are in an emission county, you’ll need the evap stuff. If you are not in an emission county, you won’t, but Its not a bad idea to keep it though, in case they change the rules on us. They have done it already, so you never know. if you are in an emission county, you’ll also need a cat, but that’s for later.

You need to keep the title to the cobalt. This is your proof nothing is stolen. It will be given to the dmv when you do your title work. Depending on your area rules, you’ll need to surrender the title to scrap the shell. Some cut it up and scrap it (can’t resemble a car) and some have placed ads for someone to just take it away, with good success. As long as you keep the title, do what you want.

post a few pics of everything left so we can tell you if you have forgot anything or not.