CodyP's Extended Track Goblin - 06' SS/SC #296

CodyP

Hello everyone! My name is Cody Pederson and I live in Victoria, Texas. I have been following this page for a few months now and pop in here and there every couple of days to see what's new.

I first found the Goblin on a hunt for a "buggy" of some sort. Growing up I wanted a go-kart more than anything but never realized the dream, as we didn't have the means or the place for it. Fast forward to about 5 years ago, still on a budget but with a bit more leeway, I bought a non running "Frankenstein" cart with the intention of swapping the powertrain from a 1986 Honda 350 4 wheeler I had picked up for 50 bucks. It was a differential driven 4 wheel drive quad that posed some interesting challenges but awesome potential so I was determined to make it work. After hundreds of hours of fabrication, more money than I intended(I'll never add it up to avoid the pain of loss), and a change in my schedule I decided to give it a break. I was designing the thing as I went from the ground up and it was honestly exhausting making little to no progress. There was still so much to do. After moving to a new house I got tired of looking at it collecting dust and rust and decided to part ways practically giving it away to see it go to a better home. I figured I'd buy a kart for me and the kid to take out eventually when I came across the right deal. I've gotten a new job(increased the budget), a bigger shop, and a renewed appetite for a project and speed. Well, being an adult, and wanting far far more than 5-10 horsepower I kept coming back to a sandrail based off of a VW bug. I've been intrigued by them for a good 15 years now since I saw my first street legal one. It's a man's go kart! So I started searching about a year ago for the right fit and couldn't decide between buying a complete one, building one, or finishing someone's project. Finishing someone's project just doesn't feel right to me, it's like taking over cooking dinner halfway through and the other person can only tell you about where they left off. I knew buying one that wasn't perfect to me would mean tearing apart and modifying the thing and that didn't feel right either. I saw someone drive by in a decked out slingshot and that created a new branch of searches(so indecisive). I found my first glimpse of a goblin while searching for something like a slingshot or sandrail on Facebook. It was Canyon B's purple one that he is selling. It was awesome, but still out of my price range considering I could build a sand rail for a few grand. But it also sparked something else, kit cars. A much more elegant solution to building what I was looking for. So I began looking at kits for various cars. Over and over I returned to the goblin. I knew I didn't want to spend what others were asking for goblins, but I liked the idea. Once I looked at the order page and found I could build a kit for cheap from a base model with an inexpensive donor, I knew it was obtainable and what I was after. It's literally the epitome of a grown man's go kart!

So after a couple of months of steadily hyping myself up from watching builds on the forum and a couple of months of searching I have finally picked my car and kit. And of course it's increased from budget minded to "if you're going to do something once, do it right". All of this means I've landed on fully built LSJ-T with all of the bells and whistles(pun intended).

I made a half-hearted jokingly offer on the 06 SS/SC that BigKID was selling on the forum classifieds and he replied with a counter offer. We ended up making a deal and after a few weeks he agreed to deliver the car himself to South Texas all the way from Panama City, Florida! He arrived with the car Friday afternoon on 3/5/21. The specs he listed on the 84k car are as follows:
Factory options:
-2.0L Supercharged LSJ
-5 speed manual trans
-G85 limited slip differential
-Recaro seats
-18x7 wheels

Aftermarket additions/mods:
-OOTP Poly trans mount
-ZZP Cold Air Intake with K&N filter and pre-filter
-Pacesetter shorty header
-mild tune for cai and header (PCM can be returned to stock if desired)

Here's a linked photo album of the car

The car has some rust because of where it was driven(or what it was driven through rather), but I was under it last night changing the oil and from what I can tell it's mostly just the lower body panels and frame that have been affected. It looks like most of what I will use is in great shape for a 15 year old car. Was told that the car has been parked for about 5 years. When unloading, the car started right up and drove down off of the trailer. It started right up again to pull it up on ramps and change the oil.

I've also ordered my kit and I am officially frame #296! I really wanted 300 but I'd rather have the kit than wait for a number. Haha. I was going to wait to order my kit until I had the car in my driveway. But, in all of the excitement on Friday I jumped the gun and ordered it. The kit I ordered is for a SS/SC extended track frame. I'm only 5'7" but I like the idea of stashing things behind the seat(maybe a subwoofer?). I'm after comfort as well as functionality. There aren't any tracks close by where I live but I may add a rack or sun cover at some point. I added almost everything to my kit except some things I may change or get from elsewhere. The things I didn't add were; the headlights(I intend to use some motorcycle ones that another builder outlined in one of his builds), fenders(they're just not go-karty enough ), the engine cover, and the seats.

I look forward to getting started after I clean up the shop and make some room.

Attachments

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Welcome! If you want to get ahead of the curve, go ahead and set up a signature for your posts with a link to this thread. Instructions are here if you need them. This will make it easier and faster to get better answers if/when you have any questions down the road. Do you have any thoughts on colors for your Goblin yet?

CodyP

Done, thank you! I do have some thoughts. I'm still months away from getting my kit but currently I'm deciding between a couple of ideas.

1) Gray frame, brown leather interior accents, carbon fiber parts such as wing etc. I haven't seen one yet, but if it were possible to get a carbon fiber hood either by making or having one made I'm about 90 percent sure this is the way I'd go. I don't really want to do a carbon fiber wrap. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2) I really get a kick out of seeing Polaris Slingshots and motorcycles/choppers with the led glow kits on them. I think Brian74 has some accent lights on his goblin for footwell and whatnot. I think that no matter what I choose I will have some LED accent lights. This #2 variation would be with something like a fluorescent green or blue frame and instead of normal LED lights I would add the black light version of the strips. I haven't seen anything like this done yet and i think it would stand out far more than anything else. If you've ever seen neon/or fluorescent paint under a uv/black light it's insanely bright. Definitely too much for a wrap and probably not safe to have energized while driving. Haha.

3) The last thing would be something like a standard gloss black with purple chrome parts and accents. This is the safe bet and I could probably do most of the work myself but I feel its the least fun and therefore least likely to happen. This is where I was headed when I was trying to build the go kart mentioned in my intro.

As of right now I'm thinking the #1 option. But who knows how I'll feel a few months from now.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I put some LED strips under mine, turned out pretty well I think. Doesn't extend all the way to the back of the car though, since the sheet metal ends before the subframe. It's also not as bright as it looks, my cell phone camera oversaturates everything in nighttime shots.

20210303_202339.jpg

CodyP

I put some LED strips under mine, turned out pretty well I think. Doesn't extend all the way to the back of the car though, since the sheet metal ends before the subframe. It's also not as bright as it looks, my cell phone camera oversaturates everything in nighttime shots.

View attachment 21431
I like that. That's about the right amount for driving which I will probably have a switch to leave just those on. What I am after for when it's in parked is a show mode! I want it to wake the neighbors up when open the garage to bring it outside. Ha!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Done, thank you! I do have some thoughts. I'm still months away from getting my kit but currently I'm deciding between a couple of ideas.

1) Gray frame, brown leather interior accents, carbon fiber parts such as wing etc. I haven't seen one yet, but if it were possible to get a carbon fiber hood either by making or having one made I'm about 90 percent sure this is the way I'd go. I don't really want to do a carbon fiber wrap. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2) I really get a kick out of seeing Polaris Slingshots and motorcycles/choppers with the led glow kits on them. I think Brian74 has some accent lights on his goblin for footwell and whatnot. I think that no matter what I choose I will have some LED accent lights. This #2 variation would be with something like a fluorescent green or blue frame and instead of normal LED lights I would add the black light version of the strips. I haven't seen anything like this done yet and i think it would stand out far more than anything else. If you've ever seen neon/or fluorescent paint under a uv/black light it's insanely bright. Definitely too much for a wrap and probably not safe to have energized while driving. Haha.

3) The last thing would be something like a standard gloss black with purple chrome parts and accents. This is the safe bet and I could probably do most of the work myself but I feel its the least fun and therefore least likely to happen. This is where I was headed when I was trying to build the go kart mentioned in my intro.

As of right now I'm thinking the #1 option. But who knows how I'll feel a few months from now.
Don't worry, the color combinations will change multiple times before you finally settle on one - and even then you could still change your mind. Better get the wife's buy in though, since this was 'new house money' you're spending. :D. BTW, welcome to the forum.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I like my carbon fiber wrap. No one knows unless I tell them, but we can’t have 2 that look the same in Texas, so you’ll have to do something different anyways. :p

you could run the track MSRH in Angleton. That’s only a couple of hours out.

Last edited:

CodyP

I like my carbon fiber wrap. No one knows unless I tell them, but we can have 2 that look the same in Texas, so you’ll have to do something different anyways. :p

Oh yeah I completely agree.. Where did you get your wrap done or what did you use so I can definitely avoid it at all costs....:D

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I like my carbon fiber wrap. No one knows unless I tell them, but we can have 2 that look the same in Texas, so you’ll have to do something different anyways. :p

Well maybe he can just put a wing on his. Then it will be different

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Make your Goblin, your own way. If you want to make one with white body panels with red stripes down the middle and black-wrapped side panels, you do you. Same goes if you want black carbon fiber wrap on your hood. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Oh yeah I completely agree.. Where did you get your wrap done or what did you use so I can definitely avoid it at all costs....:D
Had a friend do it local here. It’s 3M wrap. You’ll hate it. Don’t do it. Copy cat. :D

Originally, it was going to be blue carbon fiber wrap, but the only brands that made it, didn’t work well, so I ended up the the black carbon fiber from 3M.

CodyP

Make your Goblin, your own way. If you want to make one with white body panels with red stripes down the middle and black-wrapped side panels, you do you. Same goes if you want black carbon fiber wrap on your hood. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
It's not imitation if I thought of it first. I just wasn't the first to implement it.. ha! :D

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I am in Houston too and wanted yellow and black color combo but didn't want to be twinkie twins to @Rttoys either especially since I don't plan on a wing. My current choice is to go Green and planning on Prismatic Bright Green which does glow under black light....so dibs!

Joe

CodyP

I am in Houston too and wanted yellow and black color combo but didn't want to be twinkie twins to @Rttoys either especially since I don't plan on a wing. My current choice is to go Green and planning on Prismatic Bright Green which does glow under black light....so dibs!

Joe
4AD03C4F-6069-49A3-A577-5A5D3A8E013D.jpeg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru

Joe
Pew, good call. Bill’s frame is already yellow, but I don’t know what color the body will be. I’m glad I live in a different county than him. :D

It is kind of funny how much time I spent looking at other goblins trying not to be close to any of their colors. I am really bummed that the blue carbon fiber didn’t work. I was really wanting that.

And woooo another member of the anti wing club.

CodyP

Pew, good call. Bill’s frame is already yellow, but I don’t know what color the body will be. I’m glad I live in a different county than him. :D

It is kind of funny how much time I spent looking at other goblins trying not to be close to any of their colors. I am really bummed that the blue carbon fiber didn’t work. I was really wanting that.

And woooo another member of the anti wing club.
How do you plan to fly if you don't have any wings? :confused:

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Need more weight on the rear?? Relocate the radiator there, like on the Goblin A/T. Problem solved.
Plus, the loooong hoses thru the frame are eliminated.