Front wing - WOW

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
That second element totally changes the look. Makes it more aggressive and the proportions look better.

Who supplied the elements and what sizes?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
That second element totally changes the look. Makes it more aggressive and the proportions look better.

Who supplied the elements and what sizes?
I agree, the second element completely changes the look. Looking to source another element for a third one.

The wing and element is a 54" Ebay special. The underside is flat with mounting channels that run the length. I created 3d printed pieces to slide in the channel and complete the wing profile.
Main element is 5in. 2nd element is 3in.

With both 2nd elements and nose template.
20211011_130301.jpg

20211011_123047.jpg

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Dang that looks nice! Pretty sure the double element will provide significant downforce if angled properly. No floaty front end on your Goblin! :cool:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Dang that looks nice! Pretty sure the double element will provide significant downforce if angled properly. No floaty front end on your Goblin! :cool:
Thanks! We'll see how it does on downforce. It may be replaced with a wing that comes with actual downforce data later on.
I taped some yarn tufts to different parts of the wing, element and endplate to try and get some video of what's actually going on. But of course the battery died. Another day.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Thanks! We'll see how it does on downforce. It may be replaced with a wing that comes with actual downforce data later on.
I taped some yarn tufts to different parts of the wing, element and endplate to try and get some video of what's actually going on. But of course the battery died. Another day.
Anyone know of a university with a Goblin sized wind tunnel? :p

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Anyone know of a university with a Goblin sized wind tunnel? :p
There are quite a few places (both college and commercial) that have rentable tunnels that range from $500-$2000/hr depending on size and capabilities, like max wind speed.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Was just thinking that if an engineering student needed an idea for a project…
That's not a half bad idea. Tunnel time on someone else's dime. The nose/hood template is loosely based off of FSAE anyways.
Now I just need to find a student I trust with my car.

Jm12

Love the dual element front wing. I've been rolling a similar idea around in my head for whenever I get to it, but with a split design so it can be mounted closer in to the nose and thus tucked up closer to the tires. I'm thinking that sort of set up could route some air up and over the tires instead of having it smash into them.

Getting slightly off topic, but I wonder how many feasible opportunities there are to improve aerodynamics on a goblin. I don't think anybody is under the impression that this is a strong suit for these cars but having one that is running very rich as mine is right now has brought to light just how much of an issue it is. There's a huge amount of exhaust gas that makes it way back up into the cockpit area which really surprised me. That seems indicative of even more turbulence in the air around the car than I would have expected.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Love the dual element front wing. I've been rolling a similar idea around in my head for whenever I get to it, but with a split design so it can be mounted closer in to the nose and thus tucked up closer to the tires. I'm thinking that sort of set up could route some air up and over the tires instead of having it smash into them.

Getting slightly off topic, but I wonder how many feasible opportunities there are to improve aerodynamics on a goblin. I don't think anybody is under the impression that this is a strong suit for these cars but having one that is running very rich as mine is right now has brought to light just how much of an issue it is. There's a huge amount of exhaust gas that makes it way back up into the cockpit area which really surprised me. That seems indicative of even more turbulence in the air around the car than I would have expected.
The great Goblin Guru Lonny once told me that the turbulence behind the rear of the car is so dirty that the wing is essentially useless at the rear - except for the ends of it where clean air strikes it......

But those rear wings sure do finish the "racecar" look!!!!! :)

And yes, exhaust and heat roll back into the cockpit, mostly when slowing down or stopping. Solution - go fast!!....

jcdman

A cylinder is considered one of the worst objects for creating drag and turbulent air. The goblin doesn't set itself up for success being an exposed chassis made of cylinders haha. Best bet is to add more body work I'd think.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The rain held off after work yesterday and was able to get some footage on the airflow around the wing. I was mainly interested on my 2nd element spacing and placement in relation to the main element. I was happy to see what looks like attached airflow to the underside of the 2nd element.

I'll need to attach a tuft to the underside of the main element to see what's going on there.
That and change my X-brace orientation to reduce vibration to the wing.

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm curious if you could measure a difference in ride height at highway speed with and without the wing?

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I'm curious if you could measure a difference in ride height at highway speed with and without the wing?
This really interests me too, as everyone's "the car feels so much better" is hard to quantify without some data.

We use to put zipties on our front fork of our bikes to see how much travel we were using. If he found a stretch of semi smooth straight road, use a ziptie on the front shock rod, drove to a specific speed without the wing measured how far the ziptie moved on the rod, put wing on ran down the same road same speed etc, measured the where the ziptie ended up, could find the percent change between wing/no wing.

Another option is put something wearable slider (some kind of plastic, UHMW, HDPE etc) on the front of the car that would drag against the road and wear down. You'd know the initial height of the slider, drive around with same parameters above, measure the difference in the plastics height no wing and wing.

If you have a data logger. I made a string potentiometer for my XT Racing GPX Pro back in day for one of my race bikes out of a badge lanyard and a rotary pot to measure front fork travel while on the track. Similar to this one. https://www.instructables.com/Low-cost-string-pot-displacement-transducer/

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Even a static gopro mount could probably show ride height if aimed over the hood and at a wheel or something like that.