Audio Options

jamesm

Goblin Guru
If I'm going on a long drive, I wear high fidelity earplugs made for musicians. 21db of noise reduction with very little reduction in intelligibility.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If I'm going on a long drive, I wear high fidelity earplugs made for musicians. 21db of noise reduction with very little reduction in intelligibility.
They sounds like that might be helpful for those trying to listen to speakers while driving?

jamesm

Goblin Guru
They sounds like that might be helpful for those trying to listen to speakers while driving?
1000%. Makes a ton of difference. They mainly cut down the engine and wind noise. You can hear your passenger if you are chatting or you can hear your music playing.

PaulPerger

1000%. Makes a ton of difference. They mainly cut down the engine and wind noise. You can hear your passenger if you are chatting or you can hear your music playing.
Do you have a link or a brand name?

baustin

There are motorcycle oriented earplugs that are very similar. I've got 2 brands to try and they do seem to to be decent so far. Fortunately the names are more standard: Alpine Motosafe and NoNoise.

Same idea, talking frequencies pass through but higher and lower frequencies get attenuated. I can wear them in my helmet and hear my music just fine, same for any necessary car noises around me since they are made for on the road and track. But they do a nice job of cutting the wind and engine noise.

I also have a system similar to the Cardo packtalk, I think my is HJC 20B Bluetooth. Phone, Bluetooth, music in my helmet. When I talk on the phone the other people don't even know I'm driving unless I really accelerate hard. Sound quality is really pretty nice. Voice controls work decent too. It's made by Sena, same brand that does a lot of the motorcycle comms.

RITDR

I just recently finished up adding a stereo into my Goblin. Used a NVX Bluetooth receiver as a head unit. I used the footwell cover and built in a fiberglass box for a 10” sub above the passenger foot area, and added 5.25” speakers into the sides of the cover. I 3D printed some pods to protect the back side of the speakers and seal them off more for better mid-bass response. The tweeters were mounted to the top of the cover and face the driver and passenger, so the sound is pretty clear.
I mounted a 2000w marine amp behind the driver seat, and was able to use banana connections to make the cover and speakers removable if needed.
Overall it turned out pretty well, and sounds great for in-town drives. At 55 you can still hear the radio, but it does have to be turned up quite a bit more due to road and wind noise. At highway speed the sound really gets drowned out, and going louder with the stereo is probably not something I’d want to listen to for a multi-hour drive.

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It would be interesting to see what change the high fidelity earplugs mentioned above would make at highway speeds.

PaulPerger

I just recently finished up adding a stereo into my Goblin. Used a NVX Bluetooth receiver as a head unit. I used the footwell cover and built in a fiberglass box for a 10” sub above the passenger foot area, and added 5.25” speakers into the sides of the cover. I 3D printed some pods to protect the back side of the speakers and seal them off more for better mid-bass response. The tweeters were mounted to the top of the cover and face the driver and passenger, so the sound is pretty clear.
I mounted a 2000w marine amp behind the driver seat, and was able to use banana connections to make the cover and speakers removable if needed.
Overall it turned out pretty well, and sounds great for in-town drives. At 55 you can still hear the radio, but it does have to be turned up quite a bit more due to road and wind noise. At highway speed the sound really gets drowned out, and going louder with the stereo is probably not something I’d want to listen to for a multi-hour drive.
So, does the hood fit over that box? This looks great. Did you make a mold? Or is this purely one off craftsmanship?

RITDR

So, does the hood fit over that box? This looks great. Did you make a mold? Or is this purely one off craftsmanship?
Thanks Paul.
There is no mold for this. I just built walls that close-matched the profile of the footwell cover, and then used fiberglass to mold it to the cover.

Yeah, the hood does still fit over the footwell cover. There is maybe 1.5” of clearance between the hood and the covers over the 5.25” speaker pods. The clearance to the tweeter pods is tighter, but there is still clearance there.

One thing to note for the tweeter clearance is that my hood is raised up about an once at the back of the hood, which adds clearance for these speakers and my gauge mount.

Attachments