2.2 L automatic turbo and performance upgrade?

Ryan_m

I was thinking about buying an automatic goblin without turbo but I want to do a performance upgrade to the 2.2 L engine. What would I need to do to it to get at least 400hp? Will I need to swap out the transmission as well? I am new to this so thank you for the responses.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Search the web at large for GM performance sport compact drag racing (J body forums and such) for transmission info. AFAIK, performance parts for the 4T45e aren't really available.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm even less knowledgeable about the 4T45 than I am about the 2.2L, but a quicks search tells me that trans would be iffy around 400, and is better suited to the low 300whp range. Granted, that information came from a Grand Am forum, and it's likely to live longer in an easier life in the back of a Goblin. I know the RWD 4L60's lifespan was inversely proportionate to how much heat they saw, and I'd imagine the same would apply to a 4T45 with some power put to it.

I found a company selling tunes for the HHR SS which has the same 2.0T as the Cobalt SS/TC. Their Stage 1 tune on a manual trans takes the motor from 260/260 at the crank to 290/340 at the tire, whereas an auto goes from 220 hp at the crank to 280/300 at the tire, so take that for what it's worth.

The 2.2 probably needs rods and pistons to live at 400, and definitely needs a fuel pump and injectors to get there.

Keep in mind, too, if the Goblin you're looking at is built off of a 2005 or 2006 2.2L, then its computer can't be tuned, and you're looking at a lot more work to make any more than factory power.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Keep in mind, too, if the Goblin you're looking at is built off of a 2005 or 2006 2.2L, then its computer can't be tuned, and you're looking at a lot more work to make any more than factory power.
The Goblin he is asking about used a 2010 Cobalt as its donor :)

Rauq

Goblin Guru
If the builder is who I think it is, then I would endorse that purchase.

I wouldn't let a power goal stand in the way of a Goblin purchase. I drove my build around for a little while with the supercharger bypassed, probably making less power than a stock LAP (2010 2.2L engine), and it was an eye-watering experience. A stock 2.2L and auto trans will probably launch incredibly hard and incredibly consistently, as I'm sure anybody who's driven such a build would attest. I think if you drove it for a little while, you'd find it so fun that it's hard to take off the road for upgrades, at least until/if weather forces you off the road for a season (maybe not a thing in Florida, though?)

Ryan_m

I'm even less knowledgeable about the 4T45 than I am about the 2.2L, but a quicks search tells me that trans would be iffy around 400, and is better suited to the low 300whp range. Granted, that information came from a Grand Am forum, and it's likely to live longer in an easier life in the back of a Goblin. I know the RWD 4L60's lifespan was inversely proportionate to how much heat they saw, and I'd imagine the same would apply to a 4T45 with some power put to it.

I found a company selling tunes for the HHR SS which has the same 2.0T as the Cobalt SS/TC. Their Stage 1 tune on a manual trans takes the motor from 260/260 at the crank to 290/340 at the tire, whereas an auto goes from 220 hp at the crank to 280/300 at the tire, so take that for what it's worth.

The 2.2 probably needs rods and pistons to live at 400, and definitely needs a fuel pump and injectors to get there.

I will probably just do a light upgrade and then eventually swap In a forged 2.0 but I will need to find a used manual transmission.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I only think the auto transmission can handle like 230hp but yea I wanted to do a light super or turbo on it
The stock torque converter is the weak link and can support 250 ft-lb torque. The rest of the transmission can support 330+ ft-lb torque.