2.4L Naturally Aspirated to TurboCharged

I'm slowly putting everything together. I managed to get the 2.4L Ecotec donor prepped and now I'm just rebuilding the motor with some upgraded parts (cams, coils, spark plugs, turbo charger). Having said that I'm kinda stuck. So my plan is to turbocharge the 2.4L motor that was originally naturally aspirated. I got Adam to DFkitcar to work on the harness for me while I tried figuring this part out but I still haven't made any progress. My issues are:

1. Since it was naturally aspirated how would I go about monitoring boost using the stock ECU? The donor was naturally aspirated so I'm not sure if this ECU (E67 ECU) is capable of managing boost.

2. If it is able to monitor and adjust boost my next issue derives from one of my potential upgrades. I'd like to use a CO2 boost control system with 2 three port solenoids. Does the E67 ECU have existing pins that can be used for this?

3. All the information I've been able to gather indicates that the 2.4L Ecotec is a direct injection motor. However, like previously mentioned I've broken the motor apart to do the upgrades and cleaning and from what I can see it is a port injection motor. The fuel injectors are located behind the intake valves and are note spraying directly into the cylinder so I'm not sure why everything that I've read says that it's direct injection. This is an issue because if the stock ECU isn't able to run the CO2 boost control system I was planning on getting and aftermarket ECU but most aftermarket ECUs only support port injection motors.

Any ideas?

Thanks @Ross I really appreciate your help. I'll dive deeper into manual boost control. I wanted to go with the CO2 system because I already have all the parts for it like the tanks, lines and fittings but couldn't figure out the ECU compatibility. Since I now have someone else confirming that I'm not going crazy and that it is a port injected motor I may look into getting an AEM ECU. If all else fails at least I know the manual boost controller is something I can fall back on. I had CO2 on another light weight car that I had and it was really good because it was able to determine how much boost should be allowed in lower gears to prevent me from burning out at launch. Having said that I'm still new to this so yeah... still learning.

95Blitz

I'm glad I saw this thread, I was thinking about a 2.4 with a turbo while driving yesterday. What year is your donor and is it manual or automatic?