2008 SS on facebook marketplace in Florida for $1500

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
$1500 with a bad trans is still a good find. Id scoop it up if it were local. Link is no good for me though.

AMCAMX1969

I'm tempted to go look at it, I did send a message but haven't heard back. Really don't want or need another parts car - 3 was enough for me. Though I do have 2 spare transmissions/flywheels/and clutches and enough other stuff left over to probably fix anything else wrong with it.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Interesting. @AMCAMX1969 I am hopefully getting a Goblin soon with a LAP engine. Shopping for a supercharger. And hope to get it to 250HP. I think in the long run I will change to the TC engine and this seems to be an interesting car for that.

You are in Titusville? I am just 1h south of you. Drive often up to see the rocket launch, but not tonight, to tired :D We should meet once I get my Goblin.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Interesting. @AMCAMX1969 I am hopefully getting a Goblin soon with a LAP engine. Shopping for a supercharger. And hope to get it to 250HP. I think in the long run I will change to the TC engine and this seems to be an interesting car for that.

You are in Titusville? I am just 1h south of you. Drive often up to see the rocket launch, but not tonight, to tired :D We should meet once I get my Goblin.
Swapping from anything to an LNF is going to require swapping the ECM and swapping out rewiring the engine harness as well. For my money and skills and effort it's probably easier to put rods and pistons in your LAP and a supercharger or turbo on it than to swap a completed Goblin to an LNF or LSJ.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Well, good point with the piston and rod change. I just have never done that. I am mechanically pretty handy, but I would need a good manual to do that.

I think I would feel more comfortable swaping the complete engine. But there is a lot to say about the LAP with rods, pistons And F23 I think it’s a great base and the 10% more cc does not hurt at all… Let’s see.

There is a kit for sale with a turbo engine here in the forum… that would be an alternative as well.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
In my opinion, if you can build a Goblin, you can find the resources and figure out how to get through a rods and pistons swap. Information on that job is readily available, fairly universal, and it's been done many times before. Figuring out everything needed to rewire for an LNF swap is going to require a lot of research and probably has not been done many times before.

That being said, if you're set on an LNF swap, I'm sure this community will provide some help in sorting things out. We do get more into wiring and stuff than the typical Cobalt community.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Yes, what fears me is
1. this one screw which brakes in the engine block and needs to be drilled out
2. not knowing the torque specs
3. the timing chain assembly.

Little History: I worked on a motorcycle 4cylinder dohc before and wanted to replace the bottom sealing of the cylinder as it was leaking oil. Obviously one of the long screws holding the cylinder down broke just above the crank case during disassembly and it ended up in a mayor headache. I had a good manual with all torque specs (Yes, I am using a torque wrench... even when I put my tires on :D ) but it was not quite clear described how the timing chain has to be set. Result was: I put the cam assembly back on the cylinders and did not put the timing chain tentioner under load. The cams were off 1 chain link... luckily nothing was damaged and after correnting it, it worked just fine...

I studied mechanical and electrical engineering, but my tendency is more towards the electric/software side. For me it would be probably easier doing the electrical stuff than the mechanical.

Anyway, no decision made yet and sometimes you need to face a new challenge!

Scott Geyer

I still have my supercharger from when I had the ZZP turbo installed

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
The timing chain isn't very difficult especially with the engine out. You would think that with everything expose in the Goblin that engine work would be easy even with it in the chassis but there seems to be a bar or a tank or something in the way of everything. If you go the route of buying with the intent of upgrading, I would still suggest pulling the engine to make access significantly easier.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I just did mine and thought about trying it in the car - I definitely recommend doing it with the engine out.

It's pretty simple out of the car.