3M Clear Bra

Scott Geyer

Guys,
Wanted to get some of your opinions. I have a friend who installs 3M clear bra film on high end cars. Was thinking about ordering a new windshield and having him put the film on it. This way i would not get swirl marks after cleaning it...What do you guys think??

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Has he used it in this application? I doubt you are going to get much feedback on here since it isn't typically used for windshields.

I've wondered about using it on our windshields, but don't know how much distortion it might add. And will it really hide swirl marks when looking through it. Depending on how much it cost and how easy it is to replace maybe just replace it every year? Of course, if you source the windshield material yourself and cut your own, they aren't that expensive to replace.

It looks like I'm going to get a couple of years out of mine before replacement. Thats driving it once or twice a week and using detailing spray w/ micro-fiber to clean after every drive.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Window tint film, really light 70-80 percent stuff, would probably work too - and be less expensive than the 3M film. This could be replaced as needed rather cheaply when the swirl marks get annoying. :D Make a CADboard pattern to make it easy to replicate the window.

Scott #321

Polycarbonate is subject to off-gassing as well causing film to bubble. I know there are types of film that can be used, just do your homework before application.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I have expel film on my new windshield. It's a must! Do it on both sides
Is it easy to apply and easy to clean up? I need to redo my windscreen as I scratched it up during my cutting and want the next one to be more scratch resistant and possibly a slight tint to block the nighttime glare.