An alternative to stock Cobalt parking brake cables

Oldchevyguy

To those of you that want a parking brake, (with a standard transmission car, why WOULDN'T YOU) there is an alternative to the crummy, rusty, stock cobalt cables that df ont ffg it right anyway.
I used the stock cobalt handle assembly and Asbco universal parking brake cables. Made in Canada, they are top quality, cut to lenght, and work great. They also feature the ability to grease the inner cable before you install it in the housing. I used part number 370100. They are cheap too, and available on Ebay, and other sources.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Where did you find a good price? On ebay, I found $50/cable, and we need 2 cables for the parking brake.

I was considering getting these since I bought my goblin and I don't have easy access to the donor parts. How have these held up so far and how do you like them?

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Rock Auto has GM genuine parking brake cables for $8.50 each. $10 in conduit if you don't have the tubes, but that's $27 for the complete stock setup.

The only "expensive" part is $17 for the cable on the handle if you need it, but even on my rust belt donor that was still fresh so I'm guessing those aren't in need of replacement that often.

PHENDERSON

Has anyone converted their e brake to a hydraulic type? I'm thinking with the use of a "T" fitting you could run seperate lines to the e brake handle and connect with the regular brake lines with a T fitting at the calipers. There are some nice looking and cheap hydraulic e brake handles out there.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just remember that it won't actually work as well for a parking brake, since eventually the pressure can leak down. It won't work as well as an emergency brake since it isn't a separate system in case you have a hydraulic failure and might not pass an inspection if they require an emergency brake. I thought about doing it since my donor handle didn't work, but decided it wasn't worth it and sourced a used cobalt handle.

PHENDERSON

I am trying to get my parking brakes installed and I didn't grab the guide tubes from the donor and can't find replacements anywhere. I can't seem to get good tension on the cables without them. Has someone else done it without the guides? I'm almost thinking about using some copper tubing and bending my own. Or possibly a couple pulley wheels mounted on the subframe.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have seen someone use soft copper fridge water pipe, and also seen small plastic pipe, like a small PEX pipe.