Brake Caliper Assembly

Northshoresaint

09 SS/TC, rear parking brake

Pics are passenger side, rear brake caliper

In the first pic, do I have the washer in the correct place?

In the second pic, the caliper isn’t exactly centered with the brake rotor, although there is clearance on both sides. Is it close enough, or should I shim the caliper to make the clearance more equal?

Thanks for the feedback!

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, putting a washer where the blue arrow is will protect the aluminum from a rotating steel nut. So I would put one there.
If you put a shim washer at the red arrow, it will make your caliper worse, (moves it to the right)
if you put a shim washer at the green arrow, it will help center your caliper. (moves it to the left)

The brake pads "float" on the lower pegs, so it doesn't have to be exactly centered. Just check with the pads on that it rotates without brake resistance, and you are good.

Northshoresaint

Yes, putting a washer where the blue arrow is will protect the aluminum from a rotating steel nut. So I would put one there.
If you put a shim washer at the red arrow, it will make your caliper worse, (moves it to the right)
if you put a shim washer at the green arrow, it will help center your caliper. (moves it to the left)
View attachment 22354
The brake pads "float" on the lower pegs, so it doesn't have to be exactly centered. Just check with the pads on that it rotates without brake resistance, and you are good.
Thanks Ross! I’m about to have some rear brakes.