Broken mount hole on starter motor

finazzoty

Well I made a lovely discovery today. One of the mount holes on the starter motor is completely sheared off (presumably from when the donor was wrecked). Does anyone happen to have any recommendations on new starter motors? Rock auto has a bunch of options but not particularly interested in spending 250 on a genuine GM one if it’s not needed.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I bought one of $70 ones from RockAuto but I don’t remember which one.

You really need to update your signature to include your donor. I don’t know what the differences are in starters but the part numbers are different for various Cobalts.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I don't like spending the money on GM parts either... But just throwing my $0.02 out there. My dads F150 went thru 3 "new" (aka remanufactured/refurbished from auto parts stores) before he said the hell with it and got Ford OEM. Hasn't had an issue since. Searching online I've heard similar things, but I'm interested to see what others have to say about GM/our particular engine.

Ross

Goblin Guru
You get what you pay for. All the auto part supply stores seem to be full of rebuilt starters and alternators that are cheap and poor quality.
I prefer to go to the auto recycle yard, and pull a used GM part out of a crashed car. My 2 cents agrees with @jirwin.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
No doubt that there is a risk of not working with the cheap ones. I have had better luck with the cheap new ones on Rockauto that the refurbished ones that actually cost more.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I have around a 20-25% defect rate for electrical components from Rock Auto. I have at least one defective part from them on every project I do. However, their prices are low enough that I'm willing to tolerate a higher fail rate compared to paying robbery prices at the local parts store.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Checked back through my email and here is the one that I ordered. 2 years in and no problems.
WAI GLOBAL 6947N Starter Motor $ 66.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 66.79

finazzoty

I bought one of $70 ones from RockAuto but I don’t remember which one.

You really need to update your signature to include your donor. I don’t know what the differences are in starters but the part numbers are different for various Cobalts.
You’re absolutely right. I didn’t even realize I didn’t have one there. I’ll have to get that updated.
Also thank you for checking back on that - I’m gonna have to pick one of those up. Not a bad deal considering the price of OEM