ccgillett's Track Goblin - '08 SS/TC

ccgillett

Map sensor is actually in the intake manifold. The other pressure sensor is boost pressure that I think is used for control of boost but not actually used to control how the engine is running. (Fuel/air control.
I think it should fire and try to run but will probably barely run if at all.
Right, I keep forgetting that the MAP sensor is in the intake manifold, sorry about that and appreciate the reminder! This is my first time working on a turbocharged engine, so things are not yet super clear/familiar.

I think I'll get my MAF sensor tube and MAF sensor installed first, and will verify MAP installation when I'm back in the garage (hopefully tonight).

ccgillett

I would consider draining and replacing the engine oil, unless you're sure it's ok.
Oh yeah, it's got oil in it - that's all I know. Car was in a total loss crash with 30K on the odometer, so the engine is probably in decent shape. I plan for new oil & filter before I crank it. I would do that with any car or engine, out of an abundance of caution.

ccgillett

I've been making excuses to not get into the garage - too tired, too cold, too meh, whatever. I think it's because I'm probably 2-3 hours away from first engine start OR 2-3 hours away from a nightmare of diagnosing engine issues, and I'm scared to find out which is going to happen.

But then these showed up today, and now I need to get my lazy discouraged ass into the garage and wrench this beast to life....

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Do I see the split line on the engine cover already marked? That job is half done already! OK, maybe not but it's getting you closer to your 'finished'* Goblin, get 'r done!

* is a Goblin really ever finished???

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I've been making excuses to not get into the garage - too tired, too cold, too meh, whatever. I think it's because I'm probably 2-3 hours away from first engine start OR 2-3 hours away from a nightmare of diagnosing engine issues, and I'm scared to find out which is going to happen.

But then these showed up today, and now I need to get my lazy discouraged ass into the garage and wrench this beast to life....

View attachment 44897View attachment 44898
Aw, Come on man! I am still 2.5 months before I get back to my Garage! I know, self imposed but, but! I'm livin' vicariously here! Hanging on by a thread. Barely holding on to what little sanity I ever possessed.
Give it your Best! Man!, it is life after all, every moment is bounded by sadness or euphoria. Hook up that battery, Cross some wires, Cross some fingers and Twist that key! Roll 'dem Bones! ;)

"I gots' ta know!"

ccgillett

Aw, Come on man! I am still 2.5 months before I get back to my Garage! I know, self imposed but, but! I'm livin' vicariously here! Hanging on by a thread. Barely holding on to what little sanity I ever possessed.
Give it your Best! Man!, it is life after all, every moment is bounded by sadness or euphoria. Hook up that battery, Cross some wires, Cross some fingers and Twist that key! Roll 'dem Bones! ;)

"I gots' ta know!"

Brett

Really really really hoping the DF built wiring harness minimizes the electrical issues, but we shall see!
DF does solid work on the harnesses. Make sure you have all the grounds connected and it should work with minimal fuss.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Really really really hoping the DF built wiring harness minimizes the electrical issues, but we shall see!
Just remember that one of my biggest show-stopper electrical issues was not, in fact, an error in the harness nor a ground problem. The biggest, toughest one for me to find and squash was poor contact with one of the pins in the underside of the fuse box. I chased my tail in circles for weeks, trying to resolve that one.

ccgillett

Also, $19 exhaust flange stud and nut, thank you for the info @Sebnuts and @Markm . Local Chevy dealer had "close but no cigar" part for $22, had the correct part shipped from Arizona to Massachusetts for $19...stuff that makes you go "hmmmm.....

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Rock Auto sells the whole 10 studs and nuts kit. Installs with a E7 torx socket.

Last edited:

ccgillett

So as I suspected previously, the MAF tube and sensor are missing from my kit. This is NOT a DF issue as I purchased the kit from a 3rd party. Doing some quick reading, I don't think this is hard to solve. I am thinking about purchasing a MAF tube and stock sensor from ZZPerformance: https://zzperformance.com/products/cobalt-maf-tube?_pos=2&_psq=maf&_ss=e&_v=1.0 and https://zzperformance.com/products/gm-maf-sensor?_pos=1&_psq=maf&_ss=e&_v=1.0 . Do we think this will work and has anybody used these parts before?

I'm going fully stock on sensors and turbo for now because (1) I already have a stock turbo, and (2) I want to get the car running, tuned, dialed-in, etc. to gather baseline data before I start making performance modifications.