Cheap price on a 315/35r17

AZmoto

Here's a deal on the same size Nitto NT05. If you add them to your watch list they will send you an offer for $171.

The catch is they were made in 2017. What are your thoughts on that?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Depends upon how and where they were stored. If they have been subjected to hot and cold cycles in a non-controlled environment some of the life is taken out of them already. This is okay for most street tires, but if any track time is planned it could be a negative.
I am always wary of screaming too-good-to-be-true deals on tires as they are generally many years old and possibly 'seconds' with physical flaws.

AZmoto

It's Discount Tire so they should be what they say they are. I don't know why they have so many 2017s left though. It does make me wonder when their full price versions were made.

GingerAle

I was able to try a set of Nitto tires but it's the NT555 variant that I got from 4WheelOnline. It cheaper than other brands and the ride and handling are still comfortable.

Dale E

Just information::

If you buy those out dated tires, get them mounted. My Discount Tire store will not mount an out of dated tire -- I had some and I tried.

Also, with such a light weight as the Goblin, your tires should last a long time (even with autocross and some abuse), if you have all your suspension setting correctly set and run the right pressures. I still have 10 year old tires on the Birkin and they are barely worn. They are getting pretty hard, but no cracking, no weathering, etc. My Stalker V6 is going on 3 years on it's last set of Goodrich Rival tires and they are about half warn on the surface tread and still have the inner and outer most whiskers. And it's almost impossible to find a new 13 inch tire for the Europa S2. For the Europa I'll have to change to a different hub, brake, wheel stuff to something like a Miata to be able to get 15 inch tires (also, becoming harder to acquire).

Conversely, I used my Hankook C71's for autocross and got two seasons with them.

The Birkin weight is 1100 pounds. The Stalker V6 is porky at 1875 pounds.

Yes, I know I should replace mine, but the banker keeps saying not yet!

I'll be at the meet up with old tires putting more miles on and trying to get them worn out.

I'll use the old ones to plant flowers in I guess.

Dale

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
IMO I would never run 300 treadware tires on the goblin, Even my first SS/SC would spin the toyo r888r pretty easily and those are 100.

Running a TC LDK this time no way in heck I would run 300s or even 200s. I got over 7000 miles on my r888r on the first goblin which I think is great!

Nuker-

Corgithulhu

Former Discount Tire employee here:

I wouldn't lean too heavily on those tread wear ratings. They are only really comparable within the lineup of a single manufacturer. Since every manufacturer tests them on their own, you can't really use that as a spec to compare tires from different brands. You can rely on it more as a ballpark for how long the tires will last, but a 300 from a MAST brand (Michelin, BFGoodrich, etc.) won't really mean much compared to a 300 from a Goodyear brand besides general tread lifespan (i.e. they might both last within 20k miles of each other....maybe).

Traction is much more dependent on the rubber compound itself and the design of the tread. The best thing to do is see what people are reporting for performance characteristics in regards to what you want out of the tire (dry grip, water evacuation, tread life, etc.) and scale that accordingly for a lightweight car like the Goblin.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Former Discount Tire employee here:

I wouldn't lean too heavily on those tread wear ratings. They are only really comparable within the lineup of a single manufacturer. Since every manufacturer tests them on their own, you can't really use that as a spec to compare tires from different brands. You can rely on it more as a ballpark for how long the tires will last, but a 300 from a MAST brand (Michelin, BFGoodrich, etc.) won't really mean much compared to a 300 from a Goodyear brand besides general tread lifespan (i.e. they might both last within 20k miles of each other....maybe).

Traction is much more dependent on the rubber compound itself and the design of the tread. The best thing to do is see what people are reporting for performance characteristics in regards to what you want out of the tire (dry grip, water evacuation, tread life, etc.) and scale that accordingly for a lightweight car like the Goblin.
Highly doubt anyone is truly purchasing tires for their Goblin with high tread wear and long (multiple years) life expectations. Don't know of anyone doing the full time year around commuter car thing. But putting 300+ tread wear tires on a Goblin would be like strapping on a set of ice skates. Tread wear ratings of no more 200 should be as hard a tire as anyone would reasonably want to go with if spirited performance is expected. And if you plan to do any serious racing the tread wear plays a big role, along with the actual tread compound and design, in determining the eligibility of a tire to run in a class and for the given weather and track conditions. We have plenty of Goblin owners who have already posted good information about the brand(s) of tires they've run and their good/bad experiences - possibly better info than anyone's website tire reporting for their BMW or Subaru, which are not Goblins. ;)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I used BFG Gforce comp2 AS that were 400TW. I beat the snot out of them and raced them in autocross, but I was basically a stock LSJ. It took a steady throttle to not have it come around on me, even though it did several times. Once I stepped up HP even a modest 20hp, I learned quickly, they were not going to cut it. Now my 100tw r888r’s are the bomb. Much more confidence and predictability.

I’d have to say, even if TW might mean something different between brands, it’s definitely a generic “baseline” on what should be the max, used on these goblins. After seeing how mine acted, I wouldn’t go over 200tw on anything over a baseline goblin.

just my $.02