Cobalt or g5

DrEight

So far my search for a Cobalt in my area has been very little in luck. Most of the junk yards I contact in the Southeast Kansas and Joplin area tell me that cobalts are one of the cars that they crush immediately because nobody wants them. But they seem to tell me that they have plenty of Pontiac g5. Apparently a much more popular car around this area. I know that in the donor car section of the website they say Cobalt and g5 are the only suitable cars but still they only go on about the Cobalt. Reading it I start thinking okay maybe the g5 isn't compatible enough. So my question is if I get a g5 how much changes are going to have to be made in order to make it work. Because the g5 is looking more and more appealing to get a hold of, not to mention I'm looking at some that have been wrecked with anywhere from 5,000 MI to 20,000 MI on the unit.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The Pontiac G5 was a rebadged version of the Chevrolet Cobalt.
The only difference is the front grill, rear lights, the steering wheel, orange backlighting in the gauges, the hubcaps, and various Pontiac logos.
The engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, and so forth are all identical.
Looks like Pontiac only got the lower 3 engines (L61, LAP & LE5) and not the LSJ or LNF engines.
You shouldn't have a problem using one as a donor.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
So will my 2008 turbocharged HHR as work 100%?
This guy did it, but I don’t think it was all cut and dry, although he was mating a cobalt and hhr drivetrain to get exactly what he wanted/needed.

Brett

So will my 2008 turbocharged HHR as work 100%?
Call DF and read the referenced thread above. I know the wiring harness was a little different. Most of the different part can be picked up on ebay for cheap or in a local pick-a-pull yard.