Considering building a FFR Mk4 roadster (lord help me)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'm considering building a FFR Mk4 roadster using a wrecked 2011-2014 Mustang GT donor, and as such, I've been watching Coyote donors over the past week to gauge going rate. I saw one sell today in my state, for $3,225. It was a run-and-drive, front end wreck. Looked ugly but apparently all the running gear was fine. That's an encouraging price.

Only problem is, to embark on a new project, the old project must go. I love Goblin #187 and don't really want to move it, but it would be a must, both for space and for funds to fuel another project.

Somebody talk me out of this before I end up divorced, lol!

(Don't mind my musings ... just posting this because I can't stop looking for a donor and I'm pissing myself off!)

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Not another Cobra replica.

Build a Type 65 without the body and make your own panels for a Goblin big brother.

Goblin Guru
True, Cobra replicas are a little played out at this point. Goblin wins out there, it's much more unique.

I was eyeballing a GTM kit a while back but they aren't producing those at the moment.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would love to build an LS powered open tube frame kit, but they are rare. Maybe the Miata kit with an LS swap.

KSLunsfo

I was eyeballing a GTM kit a while back but they aren't producing those at the moment.
I was really considering a GTM before stumbling across the Goblin. Realized I could complete the Goblin much quicker and at a lower cost than the GTM. At least the way I would have wanted to build one... I'm guessing they wont sell as many GTMs now that you can just buy a mid-engine corvette and with a warranty...

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I dunno? Maybe buy one of those 11-14 Mustang GT's and drive it for a while. If you can find one that is a little dinged up the better. In a year or so it either it gets sold off or put in the surgery! You might even be able to finance it's purchase? Just depends on how full your stable is?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
My stable is full, and the cars I'm looking at won't ever drive again. :D
I'm saying buy a driver 11-14 Mustang GT to see if you like it that much? A year owning one may be eye opening. Just a thought. The stable is the eternal problem isn't it?o_O (Like you don't have any "friends/family" that want to borrow a car or truck from you for a year or so?)

Goblin Guru
I'm saying buy a driver 11-14 Mustang GT to see if you like it that much? A year owning one may be eye opening. Just a thought. The stable is the eternal problem isn't it?o_O (Like you don't have any "friends/family" that want to borrow a car or truck from you for a year or so?)
Oh, I get you now. I've owned 7 Mustangs in the past, I'm pretty comfortable that I'd enjoy whatever project the Coyote goes into.

The issue is that my stable is 1-deep. If something else comes, the Goblin goes. But really, I'm just musing at this point I think. The Goblin would have to go for a pretty decent price to fund a Coyote-based FFR build, for sure.

RCK605

Sounds like you need a bigger stable!

I haven't even finished my goblin and I'm already thinking about a Type 65 build next.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Oh, I get you now. I've owned 7 Mustangs in the past, I'm pretty comfortable that I'd enjoy whatever project the Coyote goes into.

The issue is that my stable is 1-deep. If something else comes, the Goblin goes. But really, I'm just musing at this point I think. The Goblin would have to go for a pretty decent price to fund a Coyote-based FFR build, for sure.
One deep eh? That's not much wiggle room.***** And I've been noticing a flood of Goblin's up for sale just now. ****IMO The MK4 Roadster carries "Cobra baggage" that image is so important for some, the absolutists will sneer or it may never be "extreme enough" (better than the original)?**** "What is it?!" So many show crawlers will ask.**** I personally think a better car would be building a 69/70 Shelby Mustang Conv (replica) with that Coyote and all the possible chassis upgrades. And the IRS from the late model? ****CAUTION RANTING AHEAD!!*****About a year ago I saw a 72? Mustang "Grande"(2 door coupe, the unwanted body/meaning cheap now) with the rear roof buttresses elongated just a little, probably 6", a little like a Corvette Stingray. I thought it looked amazing. I walked toward it thinking it was a fastback. I looked at it for several minutes before I realized what had been changed, not as extreme as the actual fastback, but adding streamlining I wish that body had been born with. I think it was mildy flared as the rear wheel arches were rounder, more pronounced. Larry Shinoda would have been proud as it looked more like his drawings to me. I'd bet The Grande top was a bean counter compromise.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru

I think I'm stuck about 1972, I was 10y/o. I'll hush up now!:cool:

jirwin

Goblin Guru
This is the wrong solution. The proper solution is to build the Factory Five XTR and use it to tow the Goblin places

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Do what makes you happy - and your wife less unhappy. The itch to build, if that is what your passion is, can be more enticing than the need to drive your creation. If you don't end up with divorce papers in hand, then you made the right decision - forgiveness is only a matter of time. I've been working the forgiveness thing for 41 years now...:p;):D

Goblin Guru
Do what makes you happy - and your wife less unhappy. The itch to build, if that is what your passion is, can be more enticing than the need to drive your creation. If you don't end up with divorce papers in hand, then you made the right decision - forgiveness is only a matter of time. I've been working the forgiveness thing for 41 years now...:p;):D
Thanks DS. The urge is there, but I doubt i'll do it. I figure I'd have to get $22k for the Goblin to make the numbers work.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Thanks DS. The urge is there, but I doubt i'll do it. I figure I'd have to get $22k for the Goblin to make the numbers work.
Doable. Running, driving, sorted SS/TC goblin should easily fetch $22k, but I want you to keep the goblin.