Considering building a FFR Mk4 roadster (lord help me)

95Blitz

Not that I want to see you go or anything but, I would sell and build any of the FF kit's that fits what you want to build. You only live once and you can't do it in 20 years most likely.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Doable. Running, driving, sorted SS/TC goblin should easily fetch $22k, but I want you to keep the goblin.
I'll put some more thought into it, while watching a few more wrecked Coyotes sell. There's a pretty much ideal donor on the block tomorrow, should go for less than the $3,225 the other one went for. It's pretty far away though.

Dang, them southern boys really know how to wreck a Mustang though. Most of them seem to be missing wheels, half their engines, etc. Yikes!

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
If Wallace58 is still around, he'd be a good one for insight on the FFRs since he's built several. They do look good.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I got as far as purchasing the 4” thick assembly manual and snagging an email address of [email protected] over ten years ago.

I was researching them some more when I stumbled across some Goblin Videos on YouTube. Often while watching build videos of F5Cobras they would often take them on that first go-cart drive and I would think it is a shame they could not just stop there, and behold that would be a Goblin.

And to be honest my wife also did a little research on her own and found that it would cost a good $50K+ to build a nice one and then maybe get $40K some day when selling it? So with a nice Goblin build at $20-$25 I got her approvaL, and then to build a second one.

wallace58

Having built 18 FFR kits and owned 5 of them, I think building a MK4 is a great project to go from the Goblin to. I sold my MK4 years ago and still miss it very much. I may build another one for myself down the road. My personal advice is don't go the cheap route. You will want to do P/S, P/B and heat/defrost. The coyote is wicked fast. A basic 302 is very quick also. The 427 is a bit much for the street, IMO. I built 2 of them for customers and they could break the wheels loose at 90 in 5th gear. My MK4 had a 430 hp 347 and was great to drive. Just my 2 cents worth.;)

MK4 build

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
Having built 18 FFR kits and owned 5 of them, I think building a MK4 is a great project to go from the Goblin to. I sold my MK4 years ago and still miss it very much. I may build another one for myself down the road. My personal advice is don't go the cheap route. You will want to do P/S, P/B and heat/defrost. The coyote is wicked fast. A basic 320 is very quick also. The 427 is a bit much for the street, IMO. I built 2 of them for customers and they could break the wheels loose at 90 in 5th gear. My MK4 had a 430 hp 347 and was great to drive. Just my 2 cents worth.;)

MK4 build
Good input from an experienced builder, thanks. The option list for FFR's kits is pretty daunting for an inexperienced builder like me.

95Blitz

Option list is very daunting, I'm like Bob, I bought the manual but it was 15 or so years ago, and the base kit was either 8 or 9K at that point. I spec'ed one out yesterday shipped as 33K plus the donor price and upgrades for the donor stuff, 50K is what i said but it would be 55-60K easy.

Goblin Guru
Yes, cost creep is a big concern of mine. If I'm going to build a FFR kit, I'm going to do it right.

I have a potential '04 GT donor available to me. It's not wrecked and doesn't have a lot of miles on it, but it hasn't been run in years, is an automatic, and the 289 is a much weaker platform than the Coyote. I just don't know how happy I'd be in the end, using this donor. It would come cheap though, the interior is ruined from having a busted window and sitting in the elements for years.

Lndshrk Steve

Having built 18 FFR kits and owned 5 of them, I think building a MK4 is a great project to go from the Goblin to. I sold my MK4 years ago and still miss it very much. I may build another one for myself down the road. My personal advice is don't go the cheap route. You will want to do P/S, P/B and heat/defrost. The coyote is wicked fast. A basic 320 is very quick also. The 427 is a bit much for the street, IMO. I built 2 of them for customers and they could break the wheels loose at 90 in 5th gear. My MK4 had a 430 hp 347 and was great to drive. Just my 2 cents worth.;)

MK4 build
I think your opinion is worth a LOT more than two cents!

Goblin Guru
The Coyote donor I mentioned in the first post, sold for $3,500 today. More than I expected, considering the mess it was.

95Blitz

I wonder if it's practical to do a FF without a donor? What would be your opinion on that wallace58?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I've always heard that you can build a mustang from all aftermarket parts but I don't know far up that extends into the later models.

If you are going carburetor of aftermarket EFI, it should be pretty simple to source everything, but cost wise it might not make sense.

95Blitz

I've always heard that you can build a mustang from all aftermarket parts but I don't know far up that extends into the later models.

If you are going carburetor of aftermarket EFI, it should be pretty simple to source everything, but cost wise it might not make sense.
Never heard that about the mustang but I believe it. Not sure how I would go about it.

RCK605

When I looked at the type 65 I think you could get a complete rolling chassis. You can buy new engines and ECM from Ford. If going manual I would strongly recommend a Tremec over the MT82. I believe it could be done without a donor, but would get expensive with all new parts.