Coolant Level Wiring (solved)

Frost

I purchased a built goblin, so I don't have the new wiring schematics.. and couldn't find it in my Haynes manual.

Can somone tell me where the coolant level sensor wires land (oposite the sensor itself).They're wrapped in a mixed bundle which I can't trace. 2007 ss/sc.

I'm getting a low coolant signal. Indication remains when the sensor is unplugged, and the key is only turned to aux power on. From what I've read, that indicates a short or incorrect wiring. My plan is to run new wires direct from sensor to wherever they go.

I'm 100% certain the coolant level is correct by checking expansion tank and intercooler fill spout.

This is my first request for help.. and I tried my hardest to locate it in an existing post but without success.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I remember reading that some replacement coolant overflow tanks arrive without the level sensor included.
If the tank was replaced, it might not have that sensor.

Frost

its going to read low unplugged. Try putting a wire or paperclip in the plug to complete the circuit and see if the low coolant warning goes out.
This eliminated the warning notice. Looks like it's just a matter of replacing that sensor.

Thank you!

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
@Frost Can you circle back when you have a new sensor and confirm this is the case? I didn't have any low coolant message before I tore the car down. I purchased the wiring service from DF and have the same Low Coolant warning when plugged in - I have other stuff to work on and haven't addressed it yet.

I want to believe it's not a wiring issue and I just need to replace the sensor but then again I have seen other builds that have the same low coolant message making me think it might be a broader problem.

Frost

@Frost Can you circle back when you have a new sensor and confirm this is the case? I didn't have any low coolant message before I tore the car down. I purchased the wiring service from DF and have the same Low Coolant warning when plugged in - I have other stuff to work on and haven't addressed it yet.

I want to believe it's not a wiring issue and I just need to replace the sensor but then again I have seen other builds that have the same low coolant message making me think it might be a broader problem.
I'll be swinging by the local car parts store today. Expecting to swap it over the weekend. I'll be sure to update.

Frost

Two auto parts stores, neither had it available in their system. I'm wondering if perhaps the sensor is only sold with the reservoir.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Reopening a dead thread to see if this got anywhere? It says solved but I'm not sure if it's solved by a new sensor or solved by tricking with a paperclip?

I, like many others, have a low-coolant light on and my coolant is not low.

Did replacing the sensor resolve this or is it a goblin-related wiring mixup? I did my own wiring but have seen others (who both did and did not choose DFs wiring package) have the same issue.

I haven't tried jumping the plug, I'll try that as well. Assuming there isn't another sensor on the engine somewhere that I missed?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Try shorting the two pins together on the plug to see if it goes away. If it does, the wiring it correct.

When I bought a new coolant reservoir, it did not come with the float with the magnet on the inside of the tank and therefor no matter what, it would never work. I think I bought another one specifically for my original donor and it worked. It's a long story and I did a write up on it a while back, but the DF frame was made for the base model reservoir and the SS/SC did not fit well. So I thought I would be smart and order a new base model version so it would fit only to find out that it doesn't have the float in it (at least this one didn't).

Rauq

Goblin Guru
While attempting to clean out my reservoir before installing it, I distinctly remember filling it up and shaking it and repeating and after the second or third round hearing a clunk that I hadn't heard before. I'm pretty sure my lil floaty guy that trips the switch on the inside of the tank was stuck and then became unstuck.