Coolant Tank

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My SC/SS coolant tank doesn't fit the mount on the frame. Is the frame made for a base model coolant tank. Anyone know of any reason I can/shouldn't use a base model coolant tank?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
What part doesn't fit? I had to flex mine over a good 3" or so before I could get the bolt hole to line up. The snap portion clipped right in for me.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yeah, the bolt hole isn't even close to lining up. There is a different part number for the tank used on the base model and the turbo/supercharged version. I assume the mounts were different.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Does the base model also come with the 2-pin level sensor. I can't see it very well in the stock photos on Rockauto.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I can't figure this out. I would have to twist this tank to get it to bolt up. If it were straight and level, this is where it would have to bolt down.

I can't get the photo to post with my iPad. I'll have to post it later.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Part number on botTom of tank
LJS. 15218663
LES 15326537

Brad
Mine show:
LSJ 15218663
LES 15226536 (ONE DIGIT OFF).

However, Rockauto lists them separately as two different part numbers (although the same numbers as on the tank) but at different prices. I guess they are the exact same thing.

Here is how far off the mounting is if it's clipped in straight.

image1.JPG

If I force it to mount, here is what it looks like, the tank is twisted and not level:

image3.JPG

Here is the mounting if the tank is straight and level. Are any of yours off this far? Did everyone just shove it over and bolt it down or do I have something different going on here?

image6.JPG

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
That is exactly what mine looked like. Just had to pull it over to get the bolt hole lined up. I didn't really like doing it that way because it puts the clip under constant strain and it might break down the road, but I didn't see any other way. The plastic seems pretty springy though so hopefully it won't break later on.

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
No real effort required. When I removed it the clip had taken a set so when reinstalled it just dropped into place.

Brad

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Either your tank is different or the mount got bent or welded out of place.

If you force it to line up it may break your tank.

We will make an adapter and send it to you.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Either your tank is different or the mount got bent or welded out of place.

If you force it to line up it may break your tank.

We will make an adapter and send it to you.
Yeah for the life of me I can figure out why it's different than others. The tab is not bent that I can tell and if it was, it would only be up/down but it's off front/rear also.

Do you need some measurements from me if you make an adaptor? I was thinking about doing something like that but don't really have a good way of machining aluminum other than just welding up steel. I don't think 3D printing would hold up to the heat and Stress.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Looks like the tanks between the Base model and the SS/SC are in fact different. There are two differences, one the clip mount is at different heights and the Base model has an additional mount that is not use in the our build. I purchased a new Base model tank (which is $40 cheaper than the SS/Sc model) to see the difference. The Base model is the more white one in the photos.

The answer to my question in this thread is there are two things wrong. The bracket was welded on at a bad angle (neither line up well front/rear) and the SS/SC sits higher in the mounted position.

DSCN1085.JPG
DSCN1086.JPG
DSCN1087.JPG
DSCN1088.JPG
DSCN1089.JPG