Custom Exhaust

askiles

Goblin Guru
Has anyone done a custom exhaust on their Goblin? I have seen the straight quad-piped exhaust that a member did on his TC/SS car, that looked pretty cool. Looking for something with a muffler though, for my SC/SS car. I was considering mimicking the DF exhaust, but with stainless tubing, and a nice polished stainless muffler, that is a straight through type design, not chambered. I am assuming the muffler provided is a Flowmaster or replica thereof. Meaning, a steel chambered muffler... Thanks!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I was thinking about going with something lighter in weight, since removing any weight from the back of the car will help shift a higher percentage of weigh toward the front of the car. ;)

There are soooo many choices for mufflers - chambered, straight-thru, variable/tunable - that your imagination and pocket book can pretty much run wild with ideas. There is plenty of room in the back to do many different designs. I was looking at these as examples, both SS, and both are far less restrictive than a chambered full body muffler, being straight-thru designs, and they are very light in weight.

Attachments

askiles

Goblin Guru
I was thinking about going with something lighter in weight, since removing any weight from the back of the car will help shift a higher percentage of weigh toward the front of the car. ;)

There are soooo many choices for mufflers - chambered, straight-thru, variable/tunable - that your imagination and pocket book can pretty much run wild with ideas. There is plenty of room in the back to do many different designs. I was looking at these as examples, both SS, and both are far less restrictive than a chambered full body muffler, being straight-thru designs, and they are very light in weight.
It’s true, soooooo many choices when it comes to mufflers and exhaust configurations.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Don't know if there would be enough room to make it work, but how about a single inlet, dual outlet mounted longitudinally?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Don't know if there would be enough room to make it work, but how about a single inlet, dual outlet mounted longitudinally?

View attachment 34835
You've got 24.75 inches between the rear most vertical frame tubes that bolt to the subframe. Most exhaust pipes have a minimum bend radius to make a 90 degree turn - 3.5 for 2 inch, 4 for 2.5 inch and 4.5 for 3 inch pipes. How long is the muffler?
20220808_092156.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru

So I picked up the Dynomax bullet muffler - if you can call it that - to replace the stock DF exhaust.
20220728_070137.jpg

20220728_072641.jpg

While I was at it I also purchased an exhaust vortex cone from ZZP to install inside the muffler to make it actually act like a muffler instead of a straight thru pipe. Welded in so some of the exhaust sound will be reflected into the muffler sound absorbing material.
20220728_122158.jpg

Considered reusing the DF exhaust pipes loop, but decided this was far too heavy (at 14.5 lbs with the stock muffler). So I determined a much simpler and lighter weight exhaust was in order.
20220728_072123.jpg

I'm making a new flange to weld onto the muffler that will bolt onto the TC O2 pipe flange.
20220728_140705.jpg

This will be short enough to not stick out much further than the stock DF exhaust and it will weigh about 6 lbs. Losing more weight where it's needed most, in the rear of the car.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
My entire replacement exhaust totals a little over $100 - $21 for the stainless steel muffler, $20 for the 6X8X0.250 inch stainless steel plate to make the flange, and $60 for the stainless steel vortex cone from ZZP. The (X2) 3 inch bi-metal hole saws at $15 each (dang this stainless is some hard stuff!), new belt for my drill press at $12, and a spool of stainless steel welding wire at $40 are the consumables for the DIY.

Not certain how loud this will be, but it certainly will exceed the DF system. Hopefully I won't have too many complaints, but I will hang onto the old exhaust in case I need to do something else.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
My entire replacement exhaust totals a little over $100 - $21 for the stainless steel muffler, $20 for the 6X8X0.250 inch stainless steel plate to make the flange, and $60 for the stainless steel vortex cone from ZZP. The (X2) 3 inch bi-metal hole saws at $15 each (dang this stainless is some hard stuff!), new belt for my drill press at $12, and a spool of stainless steel welding wire at $40 are the consumables for the DIY.

Not certain how loud this will be, but it certainly will exceed the DF system. Hopefully I won't have too many complaints, but I will hang onto the old exhaust in case I need to do something else.
Since you have a turbo, I bet it will be pretty quiet still. But. Hurry up and get us a video of it firing up!! :)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'd like to say soon, but I still have a long way to go before I'm at that point. In a month or so, maybe if things go smoothly, everyone will understand what's taking so much of my time to get through the frame mockup, part fabrications and mods. :cool:

jcdman

Surprised you guys are making it louder than what DF's exhaust does, I already wear ear plugs every time I take my car out. I've got the stock exhaust manifold and stock DF exhaust. I'm looking at doing a dual resonator to make the exhaust quieter without restricting flow too much. Not sure if I want to do both in series or parallel. Also gonna swap to the zzp shorty headers.

2 of these: https://zzperformance.com/products/zzp-3-ultra-quiet-small-exhaust-stainless-resonator?_pos=16&_sid=dc4ff7fdf&_ss=r