Dash Lights

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I just noticed that when I turn off my headlights, the dash (instrument cluster) lights go out. I would have assumed that they would get brighter for daytime viewing like my other vehicles. How do yours work when you turn off the headlights?

I left the ambient light sensor in the harness and tuck in under the dash so it only "sees" night time and therefor the headlights are always on to be used as daytime running lights. I like it, it works well, but it got me to thinking that usually the instrument cluster lights are dimmed when the headlights come on and my dash could be in a dimmed mode all the time.

Also, I believe I shorted the dimmer when it was removed as instructed in the build videos, I have to double-check that. Can anyone confirm that shorting it is equivalent to full brightness of the instrument illumination?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It used to be common for dash lights to only work when the head lights are on. I'm not sure when the change was made since I sort of drove 90's vintage cars until after 2010, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Cobalt is the older style.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I have the same kinda issue. I shorted mine as well but its super dim still. Have bothered looking into it yet though. I drove it at night once and couldn't read the speedo at all haha

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have the same kinda issue. I shorted mine as well but its super dim still. Have bothered looking into it yet though. I drove it at night once and couldn't read the speedo at all haha
I installed LEDs on the circuit PWB and they ar much brighter at night but I assumed they would be even brighter during they day like my daily driver. Maybe not.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
How about for the little green mileage/info display? I can hardly read that during the day without shielding it with my hand