Denied registration in Indiana

Nimrod26

I sent all my paperwork in for registration here in Indiana last week and got all my paperwork back today saying it was denied as a “passenger car” because it had no doors, but it could be considered as an off road vehicle. I just wonder how all other Goblin’s are registered in other states by vehicle type, but especially here in Indiana. I’m going to call the BMV tomorrow and should be able to straighten this out.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hope so. Ask them to look up the registration for any Lotus 7s (Caterhams, Birkins, etc.) or Ariel Atoms or Meyers Manx - they are all 'no door' vehicles and I bet they have some in their records. (I know I've seen more than one Lotus 7 or replica around Indy with an Indiana plate) if they give you grief, tell them it's a Lotus 7 replica and register it as a classic (since they haven't been built by Lotus since 1972).

Nimrod26

Hope so. Ask them to look up the registration for any Lotus 7s (Caterhams, Birkins, etc.) or Ariel Atoms or Meyers Manx - they are all 'no door' vehicles and I bet they have some in their records. (I know I've seen more than one Lotus 7 or replica around Indy with an Indiana plate) if they give you grief, tell them it's a Lotus 7 replica and register it as a classic (since they haven't been built by Lotus since 1972).
Funny you mentioned the Birkin as my next door neighbor just bought one this spring. Actually road in it last night. It does have doors but are basically heavy canvas. I forgot about the Ariel Adam and the Meyers Manx. When I call tomorrow I will mention those.
Thanks!

Attachments

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Find out what is the determination of a Off Road Vehicle. Texas has a no sand rail allowed to be street legal but also describes what a sand rail is. show them that the law does not state that a passenger vehicle has doors and show that the Goblin cannot be classified as a off road vehicle. Read the state laws about this and walk them through your rehearsed logic and use the law for you rather than their subjective hypothesis.

Good luck.

Nimrod26

Find out what is the determination of a Off Road Vehicle. Texas has a no sand rail allowed to be street legal but also describes what a sand rail is. show them that the law does not state that a passenger vehicle has doors and show that the Goblin cannot be classified as a off road vehicle. Read the state laws about this and walk them through your rehearsed logic and use the law for you rather than their subjective hypothesis.

Good luck.
That’s more ammunition for me. I think once I mention the already handful of Goblins in the state that they will realize they are in error.
Thanks!

Interestingly I found this Indiana Senate Bill:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
If they keep jacking you around then there is always Montana. Hopefully, you get them to see the error in their thinking. Just use the law and logic to make your case.

Goblinfanclub1234

start sending letters to your state reps and contact SEMA's legal team! or just go Montana and never look back :)

Last edited:

Nimrod26

start sending letters to your state reps and contact SEMA's legal team! or just go Montana and never look back :)
I called the BVM in Indianapolis about an hour ago and explained everything about the Goblin and the it does have doors and not an off road vehicle. The lady I talked to was very helpful and looked my information up about as well as the Goblin and agreed with me that it is a passenger car with no doors. I didn’t want to send all my paperwork back and with the chance that I’d get it all back saying, ”sorry no doors”, so I suggested I drive to Indy and deliver in person to eliminate any confusion. She agreed. Headed there now.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
So then, logically, Wranglers with no doors (and Broncos, too, lately) are off-road vehicles and not passenger vehicles?

Indy Lonnie

I have my Goblin registered in Indiana. It is possible. My only hiccup was all the receipts and documentation of the expense of the build. It took two times to get approval.

Nimrod26

So then, logically, Wranglers with no doors (and Broncos, too, lately) are off-road vehicles and not passenger vehicles?
The BMV argument to Wranglers is that they came with doors.
I have my Goblin registered in Indiana. It is possible. My only hiccup was all the receipts and documentation of the expense of the build. It took two times to get approval.

Lonnie I knew you were from Indy and today mentioned (not by names) to the girl at the BMV today that there were about 5 Goblin’s that I know which got registered without doors. She still insisted that I needed doors, otherwise I’d have to register mine as off road. I was told that they were moving my paperwork to someone higher up to give me an answer. But, this girl did ask me for a license plate number of an existing Goblin in Indiana so they could look it up to see what type of body class they used. Of course I didn’t know one, how would I. I drove 120 miles and got nowhere closer to my goal. So aggravating!

RCK605

Do they define the requirements of a door? If you zip tied a piece of plexiglass on the side that swings open and closed, would that be considered a door? Once registered you can take them off because they're removable like a wrangler!

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
First the State needs to define what constitutes a "road legal vehicle"? Does a spare tire, or trunk define a road legal vehicle? What about a radio and A/C? Maybe it's the head lights, brake lights, tail lights and blinkers that define something as "a road legal vehicle"? Lay a cabinet door across the front and one across the back, remember to leave the hinges in tact! There, it has doors, 2 of them! Strap one across the roof. Three!, is the state appeased now? Did Indiana ever tag the BMW Isetta?(look it up, it's funky but has 4 wheels!) I like the bits of Plexiglas idea! Does the State issue license plates for the Amish buggies? (Remember kids, a bureaucracy only exists to insure that the bureaucracy has a job tomorrow!) Have the State legally define "doors" so you can be sure to meet the expectations! If the state can't define "door" legally, the state can not then enforce "door" legally. The state can't CONVICT a person of "assault" if the victim is a mannequin, this person may be a sicko, but assault it ain't!; (unless the defendant's last name is Trump.) If the State can't define what "a woman" is, then we'll no longer have any need for "Women's Prisons"! (See?, we're saving money already!) *** Relevant movie moment: Cop: "Sir?, Are you classified as Human?" Corbin Dallas: "No, I am a meat popsicle!"(5th Element)*** How is the state tagging Tesla's?, they have no engine, just motors. Maybe you need a lawyer? Or Montana.

Nimrod26

Do they define the requirements of a door? If you zip tied a piece of plexiglass on the side that swings open and closed, would that be considered a door? Once registered you can take them off because they're removable like a wrangler!
No they didn’t define a door, but I have had the same idea about a “temporary“ door as you did. Thanks!

Nimrod26

First the State needs to define what constitutes a "road legal vehicle"? Does a spare tire, or trunk define a road legal vehicle? What about a radio and A/C? Maybe it's the head lights, brake lights, tail lights and blinkers that define something as "a road legal vehicle"? Lay a cabinet door across the front and one across the back, remember to leave the hinges in tact! There, it has doors, 2 of them! Strap one across the roof. Three!, is the state appeased now? Did Indiana ever tag the BMW Isetta?(look it up, it's funky but has 4 wheels!) I like the bits of Plexiglas idea! Does the State issue license plates for the Amish buggies? (Remember kids, a bureaucracy only exists to insure that the bureaucracy has a job tomorrow!) Have the State legally define "doors" so you can be sure to meet the expectations! If the state can't define "door" legally, the state can not then enforce "door" legally. The state can't CONVICT a person of "assault" if the victim is a mannequin, this person may be a sicko, but assault it ain't!; (unless the defendant's last name is Trump.) If the State can't define what "a woman" is, then we'll no longer have any need for "Women's Prisons"! (See?, we're saving money already!) *** Relevant movie moment: Cop: "Sir?, Are you classified as Human?" Corbin Dallas: "No, I am a meat popsicle!"(5th Element)*** How is the state tagging Tesla's?, they have no engine, just motors. Maybe you need a lawyer? Or Montana.
Thank you, your added humor logic just gives me more ammunition and hope.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Thank you, your added humor logic just gives me more ammunition and hope.
You are quite Welcome sir! My point exactly!
But seriously if the State cannot state what defines a "door" then it is up to YOU and the person behind the desk to define a "door". This sounds like a system ripe for abuse! "Anarchy with a Smiley Face, anyone"? (Any judge will tell ya, your Funk & Wagnall's is not a legal document.) Then likely the only route available to the citizen is to coerce, annoy, bribe, feed or otherwise convince the desk jockey that all our doors are doors.(Is this actually the base use for cookies?) There was a band, The Doors, Paging: Ray Manzarek!(FWIW: Jim Morrison is deceased, you're actually remembering Val Kilmer.)

Nimrod26

WOW! How am I ever going to remember your tag number?o_O
Again your humor.
Today at the local BVM here in Lafayette I got the same story, “You have to have doors”. I said to the lady to show me where it is written that I have to have doors because all I have heard from everyone is by mouth. She said we don’t have anything like that here, you have to get that from the state BMV in Indianapolis. But your the BMV, you should have it! She then went on to say exactly what my denial letter said, “You need to provide a side view photo with a door”. Well, I’m going to give them exactly what they want, a side view “photo” with a door.