Digital Dash board

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Interesting. As my budget currently does not allow me to go the fancy route I am thinking of installing a raspberry Pi with an Can Bus adapter. I just have to find out what signals are flying around the can bus and come up with a dashboard GUI under Linux. I just have no clue how the data runs over the can bus.…

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I thought I was going the budget route. Lol. In my head I figured low cash output, low time output, quick turnaround to use = money saved.

-Tablet was the major expense. Around $100.
-Bluetooth adapter.
-Torque and Racing Meter apps.
- No programming skills required.
PlugNplay

It has the ability so you can create your own dash designs, if one doesn't suite your needs or ikes.

This is another dash app.

I had considered the Raspberry Pi dash and really like the solution . Just didn't have the time to invest in it.
Look forward to see how it turns out.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Yeah, what I meant is the $1000 dashboard from my first post. That’s the fancy route.

Did you get the lag out of the system? I saw you were writing about that.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Oh, ok. Yeah the fancy ones are out of my budget range. It's nice that we have budget friendly options.

A lot of the lag was reduced when I purchased a better OBD2 bluetooth adapter. This has a much higher PID read rate than my cheap bluetooth adapter.

Mainly the lag I saw was when you'd be stationary (so I could watch just the tach and not be driving), in neutral and blip the throttle. You'd hear the engine quickly rev and the readings would lag a little behind. I also noticed even the stock gauge cluster lagged a little as well, just not as much.

When driving with the engine under load, the rpm's aren't increasing as quickly so the reading on the digital dash is pretty accurate/in sync with the engine.

Hope the info helps.