• 2007 G5

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 2006 Coupe

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I’m looking for a donor and, like everyone else, can’t find that perfect SS donor. I have found the following options but unsure which one would be the best bet for future upgrades if desired.

2007 G5 Coupe 120,xxx. $2k.
2009 Cobalt Sedan LT, 180,000. $1k. Close to the coast so probably salt air exposure- rust, corrosion are concerns.
2009 Cobalt Coupe LT 150,000. $1k. Has check engine light but codes not read yet.
All over the above are currently being driven all are automatics.

I also have access to a not drivable 2006 Cobalt 2 door LT w/ 2.2, 150,xxx miles for extremely cheap History is unknown, but it’s mostly complete - missing radiator and everything forward. Everything else looks good. Did I mention it’s extremely cheap?

I have a lead on an LSJ that was pulled from a wrecked SS and was thinking of getting it for the supercharger to swap onto one of the other donor engines.

I’m leaning towards the 2009 Coupe for future tuning ease. Opinions w/ reasons.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I’d like a 2.4, but Houston is a little far. Don’t have the time to get it myself and shipping to coastal NC is $$$$.

Joebob

Goblin Guru

this is a 2.4 auto. It’s been on cl for about a month, so may be able to pick it up cheaper. Add a turbo to the 2.4, could be fun.
Are you saying my 2.4L Auto will not be fun without a turbo...****!

On a disappointing side, that is half of what I paid for mine, salvage, after all the fees.

Carbon Soul

I shipped my 08 SS from NC to NE Oklahoma for $800. Just make sure you make a throwaway email if you are going get quotes. They don't ever stop o_O

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Are you saying my 2.4L Auto will not be fun without a turbo...****!

On a disappointing side, that is half of what I paid for mine, salvage, after all the fees.
It’ll be fun, but HP is addictive and you’ll want more. :D

Im surprised that one isn’t gone yet. Parting it out you can easily make your money back.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe the 2009 cars will have VVT and the 2007 car will not. That's another thing to tune for but
also should make a tad more power.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Patients paid off!
I’ve been trying to buy 4 different Cobalts and a G5 over the past few weeks and as soon as I asked “when can I look at it?” they would all of a sudden want to trade with someone or they wouldn’t reply further. Frustrating! But today, after scheduling a time to look at a 2009 sedan and waiting past agreed meeting time for an address, I checked Marketplace again and found a 2006 SS/SC that went up for sale <24 hrs prior. It’s now in my driveway and I got it for less than nearly all of the others because the front bumper cover is gone, windshield busted, and some clutch issues. I’ll be ordering my Goblin this week!

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Patients paid off!
I’ve been trying to buy 4 different Cobalts and a G5 over the past few weeks and as soon as I asked “when can I look at it?” they would all of a sudden want to trade with someone or they wouldn’t reply further. Frustrating! But today, after scheduling a time to look at a 2009 sedan and waiting past agreed meeting time for an address, I checked Marketplace again and found a 2006 SS/SC that went up for sale <24 hrs prior. It’s now in my driveway and I got it for less than nearly all of the others because the front bumper cover is gone, windshield busted, and some clutch issues. I’ll be ordering my Goblin this week!
Perfect, everyone knows the SS/SC is the best donor!

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Does anyone know anything about a Saturn Ion Redline? Could it work as a donor?
I believe Angie of Ecotec Nation was working on building a Goblin from an Ion Redline donor, but I haven't seen anything about the project in a couple years.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Using a Saturn Ion as donor would depend on your skills. The wiring harness might be the hardest to overcome since it might be totally different. Or it might be very similar.