eBay turbo

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I came across this turbo kit on eBay and was curious if anyone else has looked at them.

If it’s really just bolt on and add a tune, a grand doesn’t sound that bad for more power. Feels like it’d need a few more bits than that though...

Ross

Goblin Guru
I put a cheap header on my LSJ, and new gaskets. I didn't realize that is was leaking a little, because it isn't flat where it connects to the block. It ended up adding outside air to my exhaust, which made my O2 sensors think there was not enough fuel, and the ECM started adding more fuel. My tuning started becoming worse and worse. Took me a while to figure out why. I lost about 6 months of time tuning - which was actually de-tuning. Anyhow, I got what I paid for. Cheap header was a waste of time... but it looks cool. If you buy that kit, check if the exhaust is flat.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
That doesn't surprise me with knock-off stuff from ebay. I've got some good stuff and I've got some bad stuff.

If one was to gamble on an ebay turbo special, what else would be needed for a stock 2.2? Probably larger injectors and a different MAP sensor. Anything else?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
At a minimum you'll also need fuel injectors. That kit looks at least as solid in the single picture they provide as any other eBay kit I've seen, although the lack of additional pictures is a little concerning. The wastegate housing looks interesting, I can't see how it dumps anywhere except to atmosphere right at the wastegate housing. I also can't see what their oil feed/drain solution is but that's not a huge deal to sort out if their solution isn't plug and play.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Based on some other automotive "kits" I've got from ebay, it's definitely not plug and play. I'm sure some of the parts will need to be customized and it will need some additional parts and probably some custom pieces.