Engine and Transmission

trophy1

Since I am new to this I have a 2 part question.

1. How do I determine what engine I have?(2.0 or 2.2) I know that it's from a 2010 base cobalt, and can a supercharger be added to it?

2.How can I find out what transmission I have ? f23 or f35? It is an automatic. Pic below is the only tag on transmission.

Thanks!
Brian

Attachments

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
  1. It's a 2.2. Since it's a late model, you can add a supercharger, but it will need to be tuned.
  2. The automatic is neither a F23 or F35. Those are manual trans.

Dsteinhorst

Several of us have supercharged our 2.2 Goblins. 250whp is achievable. It's straightforward but has its complications. A professional tune is absolutely required and runs $800-1500

trophy1

Sounds good but I thought I would stay with a auto. My issue is a bad left foot. injury in service. Plus I'm 65 so an auto would be right up my alley. I was hoping to find a better auto or maybe a stout rebuilt unit for it.
Thanks! the Goblin group is great!

Chubbs

I've never had a ride in the stock NA automatic goblin. But, I'm willing to bet it's still fast.

Before throwing forced induction at it, I would complete the build and get it running. Enjoy it for a bit, and then decide if it needs more. You may be surprised. It'll be faster than 95% of cars on the road. 150hp is a lot when it's only moving 1500 lbs.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
What is the automatic thats used in the 2010 HHR SS? They had automatics that, i assume, would be plenty stout to take a supercharger and 2.2 setup.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Same trans. I think it'd be fine too. Without going under a 3.1 pulley you should be pretty alright. I too recommend finishing the build first, but man is it night and day with the supercharger. Much higher smiles per gallon

Lndshrk Steve

I concur. Build it first and drive it. It should have plenty of power for getting on it, on the street. Enjoy it and then see what you need/want to do. Cars like this are never done anyway.

trophy1

If anyone ever wants to break down what the numbers mean on GM transmissions, it goes like this:

4- 4 gears
T- transverse (front wheel drive)
45- 45 series (the higher the number, the stronger it is)
E- Electric shift/controlled
Thanks that's nice to know! You've helped me before with advice, thanks again!

Maybe I should say what I'm looking for with my Goblin. I want at least 200hp or 225hp, currently stock its 155hp. Also if I could keep the automatic maybe there is some place that could beef it up to handle that HP. I don't run it on a track or really race it. I just like to run the roads around the house and mountain roads by my cabin. Really fun in the mountains!
Thanks again Goblin group!

trophy1

I concur. Build it first and drive it. It should have plenty of power for getting on it, on the street. Enjoy it and then see what you need/want to do. Cars like this are never done anyway.
Your right I do ehjoy riding it around the streets here, but want just a little more power, maybe 50hp, but now worried if my transmission would hold that little extra power.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Thanks that's nice to know! You've helped me before with advice, thanks again!

Maybe I should say what I'm looking for with my Goblin. I want at least 200hp or 225hp, currently stock its 155hp. Also if I could keep the automatic maybe there is some place that could beef it up to handle that HP. I don't run it on a track or really race it. I just like to run the roads around the house and mountain roads by my cabin. Really fun in the mountains!
you‘re welcome. Just hear to help.

Since it’s the same trans as the HHR SS I’d say you’ll be fine. it also looks like there’s goodies like a shift kit and such available, which means if you overpower it, there’s a solution. From what you are describing on how you want to drive the goblin, chances are, you’ll be fine.

Tinkles

A basic supercharger kit will put you right at that power level. Alot of supercharged 2.2Ls make 205-210whp with the stock pulley.