Engine Lift Points

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Guys, I'm about to use engine hoist in efforts to clean up, paint the engine etc. I also have an 34" engine hoist chain. Are those points below suitable? I have to assume they are there. But my chain doesn't have hooks on the end making me question myself, they are holes for bolts. So, I either need to buy a couple chain link things, or use bolts.
upload_2018-3-27_15-38-18.png

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If you do any engine work, put a new style timing chain tensioner. This was a recommendation to me that I didn't even know existed. It looks like you have the old style. Depending on the mileage, now might be a good time to replace the chain since it's so easy to do while its out.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Yeah. I'm going to. I did the timing on my old Cobalt SS. I think I'm going to check out the looks of things by taking off the front cover and see if I want to do the whole kit.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
There is a kit that I bought off Amazon that was $85 and it was more complete than that one. I used it to do the timing on the turbocharged version which has cam phasers not just cam gears. So I did not use the cam phasers but replaced all the other sprockets and gears in the timing other than the main crankshaft. The kit was very complete the chain was good with marked links and it had the new style tensioner. I and planning to get the same kit to do this motor.

TK5090BSK Brand New (148 LINKS) Timing Chain Kit w/Latest (Updated) Style Tensioner + Balance Shaft Set "DOHC" Ecotec Engine "Z22SE L61 L42 LSJ LNF https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WAMRMLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XxuVAbCFAMPRY

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Actually on second review it looks like the kit I sent also has a new balance chain and those tensioners your kid is made by the same person but does not have the balance kit. Before you order it might be wise to just see how your balance shaft kit looks and then go from there. But I used this very kit and it was very complete and well made

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I'm guessing I don't need to spend 300$ on the kit that ZZP sells. At least I hope not lol

Thanks!
Nuker-

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I'm guessing I don't need to spend 300$ on the kit that ZZP sells. At least I hope not lol

Thanks!
Nuker-
I didn't have that cobalt ss that I fixed up for long after it was fixed. But the kit had coyles (much more expensive) marked tensioners and platic guides. As mentioned. I didn't use the cam gears or the camshaft gears.