Engine/trans removal tips?

HOBGOBLIN

Soooo long story short I think I need to add a throw out bearing spacer. Anyone have a loose guide on best way to remove the engine? Trying to do Least as possible ya know since I only put like 300 miles on it since I built it and now ripping it apart

Ross

Goblin Guru
Lower the subframe, with the engine, trans, lower control arms, driveshafts all connected.
You will have to disconnect brake lines, parking brake lines, drain the engine cooling system, disconnect electrical.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Yep! Here's what I did in this order:

Take off wheels and loosen axle nut

Unbolt the control arms from the hubs and tie rods

Pull out axles (you don't need to take off coilovers/hub/brakes etc. there's enough give)

Take off exhaust and unbolt trans cables

Take off front motor mount and take out subframe (no need to remove brake lines or coolant)

Drain trans fluid.

Unclip electrical components as you'll need a little slack - fairly obvious stuff

Setup engine hoist and drop the engine ~8-10inches

Unbolt trans and pull it off > lift engine back into place and bolt in passenger side mount

Take a jack and put it under the block on the clutch side.

Last edited:

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru

Watch the vid it's pretty good. Basically your tob boot can split and leak.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If you think you have blown out the throw out bearing because you are leaking brake fluid from the transmission/engine split, make sure it's not leaking at the elbow where the line enters the transmission. Mine was leaking there without any sign, and I had mine out twice before I realized where the fluid was coming from.