f23 swap help

redline

hello all,

I just bought a couple f23 transmissions and the Quaife LSD. I am trying to instill the LSD and the bolt under the cap is so tight I stripped the first one on the first transmission. was wondering if this is a left handed thread or something? these are all brand new trans with zero miles. I would not expect this to be so tight.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would not tear a transmission down without a service manual. To many things like left hand threads to screw you up.

redline

ok, so it is right handed for sure, anyone have any tricks? I am breaking Allen sockets over here?? every video find shows them coming right off.

Cnixon160

It is extremely tight and has Loctite on it, make sure you swap the tone ring from your original carrier onto the new quaife carrier or you will have no speedometer

redline

It is extremely tight and has Loctite on it, make sure you swap the tone ring from your original carrier onto the new quaife carrier or you will have no speedometer
Well seeing as it is on the table here, I sure did forget this one. guess I can just use my dragy for the the speed though? will that mess up anything in the tune?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
There are a lot of things in the tune that are gear dependent and I'm not sure if the ECM is smart enough to determine gears without speed.

Cnixon160

Well seeing as it is on the table here, I sure did forget this one. guess I can just use my dragy for the the speed though? will that mess up anything in the tune?
There are a bunch of things that rely on speed input, in theory it will run and drive fine but it will try to remain on the idle timing table and your odometer will not function to name a few, you will also not have any power enrichment meaning rapid death in a boosted application

redline

I am having trouble putting the ring on the new differential. and it wont go down as far as it did on the stock differential. anyone put one of these on these have any advice?

Cnixon160

If you haven't already mangled the ring take it and bake it at 400 for about 20 minutes on some foil then it should all but fall on, or heat it with a torch if you have one