Fenix's Goblin #461 - 2010 Base Auto

Fenix Nexen

Painted the other calipers today and they didnt turn out very great though in my opinion but if you squint a bit they look cool. The colors and amount of gloss between all of them are off in some manner. While it might not be so noticeable until pointed out, the fact that I know they didnt turn out all even ticks me off somewhat. The spray paint has managed to get pretty much all over the place, everything is dusted in a layer of blue now, even my shoes I was wearing are a shade of blue now. There is various parts of the kitcar layered in blue dust as well and seems to not of stuck thankfully. I used paper to shield one side of the car but that didnt stop the spray paint from basically circulating throughout the entire garage. I am not really happy with all this to be honest and I should of just had these parts powder coated instead or just left alone. I am going to try the valve cover next with the same paint and see how that goes. It really makes me dread getting the hood and fenders painted. I will have to find an automotive painter near me. Aside from that my patients has run out on multiple fronts as I am still waiting on the rest of stage 2 to be delivered. I requested the stage 3 invoice two weeks ago and still have not received it. All the parts I sent to powder coating a month ago are still there waiting to be done. I understand that DF is booked out pretty hard and so is my powder coating guy but at this point it feels like I wont get any more parts and I have a fancy paper weight in my garage. Combine all that with my health, which I found out the new insurance I was forced to acquire is not accepted by my family doctor. The PCP I was auto assigned does not take my insurance either. What the ****? I am behind on my mental and physical health by at least 6 months and I have been waiting for weeks for appointments just to find out that I cant even see the doctor to which my family doctor just recommended that I call 911 next time I have an attack so I can actually get treatment. Then today finding out that the insurance I was kicked off of still may take me back even though today I requested an increase on my current forced insurance plan to which I will have to wait even more for them to paper bill me to get it activated and I was not even told how much per month it will end up costing me and so, more useless waiting. I am waiting on so many things its so tiring and I am so done right now. Sorry for venting.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Painted the other calipers today and they didnt turn out very great though in my opinion but if you squint a bit they look cool. The colors and amount of gloss between all of them are off in some manner. While it might not be so noticeable until pointed out, the fact that I know they didnt turn out all even ticks me off somewhat. The spray paint has managed to get pretty much all over the place, everything is dusted in a layer of blue now, even my shoes I was wearing are a shade of blue now. There is various parts of the kitcar layered in blue dust as well and seems to not of stuck thankfully. I used paper to shield one side of the car but that didnt stop the spray paint from basically circulating throughout the entire garage. I am not really happy with all this to be honest and I should of just had these parts powder coated instead or just left alone. I am going to try the valve cover next with the same paint and see how that goes. It really makes me dread getting the hood and fenders painted. I will have to find an automotive painter near me. Aside from that my patients has run out on multiple fronts as I am still waiting on the rest of stage 2 to be delivered. I requested the stage 3 invoice two weeks ago and still have not received it. All the parts I sent to powder coating a month ago are still there waiting to be done. I understand that DF is booked out pretty hard and so is my powder coating guy but at this point it feels like I wont get any more parts and I have a fancy paper weight in my garage. Combine all that with my health, which I found out the new insurance I was forced to acquire is not accepted by my family doctor. The PCP I was auto assigned does not take my insurance either. What the ****? I am behind on my mental and physical health by at least 6 months and I have been waiting for weeks for appointments just to find out that I cant even see the doctor to which my family doctor just recommended that I call 911 next time I have an attack so I can actually get treatment. Then today finding out that the insurance I was kicked off of still may take me back even though today I requested an increase on my current forced insurance plan to which I will have to wait even more for them to paper bill me to get it activated and I was not even told how much per month it will end up costing me and so, more useless waiting. I am waiting on so many things its so tiring and I am so done right now. Sorry for venting.
View attachment 47271
View attachment 47272
Only you will ever see 2 brake calipers close together. Even on one side they are several feet apart.

Fenix Nexen

Dropped off the front splitter at powder coating, should be about another week before its done. Still no word from DF. :(

TravMac

Yea they have been pretty busy, I even called and asked some questions and it seems lots of work going on right now but it's all moving as fast as possible. Sorry to hear about all the life stuff, that can always put a damper on things, but the parts really are looking good! My valve cover was a chunky textured mess that was completely unintentional... but in a way, ya have to love the character it gives the build! (Plus people usually think it looks way than we think).

Fenix Nexen

Some news finally. Picked up parts at powder coating.
Passenger kickplate can be installed now and is semi gloss black
Seat mounts can be installed now and is semi gloss black
Front splitter is semi gloss black and will be installed later, dinged it twice while transporting it back home, woops.
Front control arms magnum blue sparkle and will be installed
Uprights can be installed now afterwards
Subframe can be installed now and is semi gloss black
Rear control arms have been sand blasted and will be painted semi gloss black before installation
Coolant overflow res bracket painted magnum blue sparkle and has been installed.
Spring for that spronged and took me an hour to find it.

Working on torqueing everything down proper and installing all the parts that arrived from coating.

I guess I tighten the jam nuts to 'good enough'? I followed this video guide
best I could. Not sure what effect it has if its not 100% accurate, could use info on that. The nuts in the pictures provided have not been torqued yet or threaded all the way.

Seems like I got the rear trans mount correct and torqued down. Interesting how its just 3 long bolts and nuts.

Still no word from DF, no email responses since the 29th of april, no invoice, no word of the remaining stage 2 stuff I still need. *flips through some emails* I asked for stage 3 invoice on the 29th of april. I asked for status updates on may 15th and 23rd and no word. Will shoot out an email or call up tomorrow. Id be happy to receive the redrilled rotors (i have the fronts but not the rears) and hubs, since I think thats all thats left before I can get the car on its feet.

Fenix Nexen

Oh another thing. I think I've misplaced the two bolts for the toe rack for the rear, could use a link to replacing them and reference pictures

Fenix Nexen

Got in contact with DF friday via phone and things should be moving along now, fingers crossed for some news this coming week. I recorded a walk around and just for funsies put on a brake caliper and steel brake hose hose.

Fenix Nexen

took an angle grinder to the donor seats and made them fit, the ability to slide them and recline is intact. will be replacing them with the racing seats at some point. car is drivable now. tire psi is 18 front 20 rear cold, iv been driving it around my property

Last edited:

Fenix Nexen

Took out the donor seats and put in one racing seat. Found out that its coming back out in order to install the seatbelts. A DF related guide on that would help. Took it to the gas station, its a 5 minute drive on back roads with only 3 right turns and one stop sign. Grabbed food and ate while looking at my hard work taken form. Was fun seeing people rubberneck at it.

That being said I have moved forward and bought adapters and put on the new wheels.

I didnt think about having spacers giving me a better turn radius and I might consider using spacers when I get the redrilled hubs in and possibly installing a SS rack or removing the rack limiters. Removing the worry of scraping by turning too much I have thought of putting rubber around the control arms if and where the rims would touch it. For brake bleeding I am using an pneumatic one from harbor freight https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

I got toe plates and made the toe equal on each side and have begun measuring, before measuring I have a toe out, will do adjustments tomorrow morning.