Florida registration

Stretch2126

So my dad and I have been contemplating building a sc goblin for a couple years now but the biggest thing holding us back is the possibility of it not being street legal. I’ve gone through some other threads where there’s a few cars in Florida already registered but there’s a couple different threads where people either have success or people say there’s no chance and the inspector or dmv just gives them a no. I’m sure I’m not the only one but any information and more clarity couldn’t hurt if anyone has some advice.

jayrolls

So my dad and I have been contemplating building a sc goblin for a couple years now but the biggest thing holding us back is the possibility of it not being street legal. I’ve gone through some other threads where there’s a few cars in Florida already registered but there’s a couple different threads where people either have success or people say there’s no chance and the inspector or dmv just gives them a no. I’m sure I’m not the only one but any information and more clarity couldn’t hurt if anyone has some advice.
I’m in Panama City and I am planning on going the Montana route and then possibly transfer the registration.

Stretch2126

Thanks for the quick responses I thought it would be like a week. I’ve seen the Montana route and figured it would be a possibility as well. I wasn’t sure if it would be worth trying to see if Brevard county would possibly allow it or go straight for the Montana plan. I guess after that would be finding decent insurance and such.

jayrolls

I live in Port Saint Lucie Fl and I registered 1 already at Palm Beach and soon will try and registering another one after I weld some mounts on to hold lights, mirrors, taillights.
And put DF fuel tank in.
Everyone will be watching with interest if you have luck. I want to go FL route, but Montana is the backup plan to make sure I can drive legally.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I maybe mistaken but I thought regardless of what county you live in it ends up on the desk of someone up in Tallahassee who is saying NO?

???

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I maybe mistaken but I thought regardless of what county you live in it ends up on the desk of someone up in Tallahassee who is saying NO?

???
I‘ll just try and see what happens, they registered the first one so I’m just curious to see what happens.
Last time I had it all done in one day with title in hand and tag ,of course I had to wait on specialty tag

Attachments

r3drckt

Goblin Guru

???
It ends up in Tallahassee if you have to mail in the inspection documents and stuff because there isn't one in your county, otherwise it stays within your county. That person in Tallahassee who said no threatened to revoke all titles and registrations of goblins who made it past the system, but I haven't heard of a single person who has had that happen yet. It was @CaptFrank2001 who had to mail his in to Tallahassee and got rejected.

@Stretch2126 plan to go the Florida Registration route. If it doesn't work, that's when you pursue the Montana route. The only difference at that point than what the Montana guides typically show is that you have to sign over the MCO from your name to your business name with a bill of sale. Others skip registering in their state at times and have DF issue the MCO directly to the business name if they plan to go Montana right away. It's really up to you, pick your poison. A lot of us up here in the Florida Panhandle appear to be planning for Montana route when we reach that stage. Southern Florida seems to be the better location for title and registration.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
May I ask for clarification? "it ends up in Tallahassee if you have to mail in the inspection documents and stuff because there isn't one in your county"

What are they finding not in their county, a inspection office? What would I want to check that we have in "Collier County"?

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
May I ask for clarification? "it ends up in Tallahassee if you have to mail in the inspection documents and stuff because there isn't one in your county"

What are they finding not in their county, a inspection office? What would I want to check that we have in "Collier County"?

I don’t have one in my county so I had to go to west palm beach abut a hour away. Call them up and ask where you go. .
Then you mail the paper work and 40 dollar check to them. It took 2 weeks from start after mailing all paper work off until had title

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru

Call this number and they can probably tell you where to go
If you need help with anything just reach out, Glad to help

Attachments

Stretch2126

I appreciate all the feedback. I’ll definitely start looking hard for some cobalts now. Glad to finally start being active on the site.

KSLunsfo

@Stretch2126 plan to go the Florida Registration route. If it doesn't work, that's when you pursue the Montana route. The only difference at that point than what the Montana guides typically show is that you have to sign over the MCO from your name to your business name with a bill of sale. Others skip registering in their state at times and have DF issue the MCO directly to the business name if they plan to go Montana right away. It's really up to you, pick your poison. A lot of us up here in the Florida Panhandle appear to be planning for Montana route when we reach that stage. Southern Florida seems to be the better location for title and registration.
At this point, you can only get the MCO in your name. Unless perhaps your LLC is preexisting and used as the actual buyer of your kit.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
At this point, you can only get the MCO in your name. Unless perhaps your LLC is preexisting and used as the actual buyer of your kit.
Correct, Adam told me they only issue the MCO to you as a person, not your LLC. You just have to sign the MCO over to your LLC and have it notarized.

JPas914

I called my local tax office/DMV and asked for the number to the compliance office near me to get my car inspected. I mailed my paperwork to the compliance office in Pensacola and had an appointment the following week. And it was registered a couple weeks later.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
My county (Suwannee, FL) has no inspector. I was told I had to use Tallahassee. I sent in my paperwork & they never gave me a reason for rejecting it but just returned my entire packet that I had sent them. After all the Florida BS I did the MT option. Took 7 weeks to get my tag & title from them.