Front half of the goblin

95Blitz

Yeah you are hosed with your project you have to use the cobalt stuff, just like the rest of us using the cobalt engines.

But If he is truly going to run a K series Honda he will use the dash board from that or a tablet style dash. He doesn't need much from the cobalt, subframe, a-arms, uprights, rack and pinion, that's about it really. The power steering motor can be dumped for manual, the power brakes can be dumped for manual. Junk yard parts are the subframe and maybe the uprights, the other parts can be gotten new.

If I get to do my engine swap, I'm pulling every stitch of wiring out and starting over with my own harness and connectors.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
If I get to do my engine swap, I'm pulling every stitch of wiring out and starting over with my own harness and connectors.
[/QUOTE]
You are brave! Then again after my project actually runs and drives I may prove to be just as reckless! We will see!:cool:

Jason d

Yeah you are hosed with your project you have to use the cobalt stuff, just like the rest of us using the cobalt engines.

But If he is truly going to run a K series Honda he will use the dash board from that or a tablet style dash. He doesn't need much from the cobalt, subframe, a-arms, uprights, rack and pinion, that's about it really. The power steering motor can be dumped for manual, the power brakes can be dumped for manual. Junk yard parts are the subframe and maybe the uprights, the other parts can be gotten new.

Ima have to get a fab subframe for the k series and doing a whole new custom wiring harnesses for the fuel tech and button box

Jason d

Ima have to get a fab subframe for the k series and doing a whole new custom wiring harnesses for the fuel tech and button box
I feel like ima only need the front half of the goblin from the cobalt, most of other stuff will be custom

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Custom subframes have been designed and fabricated by several builders, not hard if you have good skills. Recommend at least borrowing a Cobalt subframe to get the original dimensions, makes it easier to adjust the physical locations to get your new engine/transmission mounting points - rather than starting from scratch.

Jason d

Custom subframes have been designed and fabricated by several builders, not hard if you have good skills. Recommend at least borrowing a Cobalt subframe to get the original dimensions, makes it easier to adjust the physical locations to get your new engine/transmission mounting points - rather than starting from scratch.
Yeah ima send them the cobalt subframe and a k series motor to make it work

Jason d

Why would you need the front half of the cobalt?
Front half already has the brackets for the steering rack and other stuff. Don’t wanna take it out of a Honda and try to figure it out when it’s just an easy fix to just use the cobalt

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Jason D, I believe my friend 95 Blitz was telling me I'm "hosed" because my project is very different than a Goblin conversion. He is very familiar with my "special needs" project.
It sounds to me that you are on track!

Jason d

Jason D, I believe my friend 95 Blitz was telling me I'm "hosed" because my project is very different than a Goblin conversion. He is very familiar with my "special needs" project.
It sounds to me that you are on track!
It’s all good, no worries

95Blitz

If I was doing the K swap I would, keep the cobalt subframe that way you can use the cobalt lower control arms and the uprights with the cobalt hubs and the coil over kit and have the correct wheel track in the rear. You would need to make motor/trans mounts and have axles made. Sounds easier than making the Honda control arms, uprights, coil overs fit. And does the Honda parts give you the correct wheel track in the rear or something close to it?

Jason d

If I was doing the K swap I would, keep the cobalt subframe that way you can use the cobalt lower control arms and the uprights with the cobalt hubs and the coil over kit and have the correct wheel track in the rear. You would need to make motor/trans mounts and have axles made. Sounds easier than making the Honda control arms, uprights, coil overs fit. And does the Honda parts give you the correct wheel track in the rear or something close to it?
I would do a custom subframe with control arms like just reed has on his, but is the Honda axles and everything else for the k series, again I’m new to all this but this would be my theory

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You realize the subframe and control arms that Justin Reed is using were prototypes made by DF @Lonny to test out a design. Don't believe these ever made it to anything beyond two or three sets that ended up in some builders hands. If you plan to create a subframe and control arms they will definitely be custom pieces, I hope you have some engineering background to understand the nuances of the geometries for caster, camber, squat, lift and possible bumpsteer requirements to optimize what you plan to do - since your suspension will no longer be from a FWD donor you can setup for a true rear suspension geometry.

Jason d

You realize the subframe and control arms that Justin Reed is using were prototypes made by DF @Lonny to test out a design. Don't believe these ever made it to anything beyond two or three sets that ended up in some builders hands. If you plan to create a subframe and control arms they will definitely be custom pieces, I hope you have some engineering background to understand the nuances of the geometries for caster, camber, squat, lift and possible bumpsteer requirements to optimize what you plan to do - since your suspension will no longer be from a FWD donor you can setup for a true rear suspension geometry.
Yes I know I’ve spoken to him, and a k series is still fwd, there’s fab shops near me that do fab work on race cars. Just needs time and planning

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Think you missed my point, your custom subframe and control arms should not be modeled after the FWD parts from either a Honda or a Cobalt, they are not well suited for a RWD application geometry wise. Since your going custom you are free to optimize the geometry for your new RWD application. I've been going down this path with a custom subframe and UCA/LCA suspension I am still designing that will eliminate the McPherson struts. There are several dozen factors to designing a new rear suspension that all play off each other - change one and a dozen other characteristics change. That is why I asked if you have the engineering background to pull this off. Since you appear to be farming this out to someone else to do the fabrication work (and I assume the design) I'm curious how much this will cost? Any estimate? I know how much time and prototyping goes into this process, it's not cheap and it's not quick to acheive results..

Jason d

Think you missed my point, your custom subframe and control arms should not be modeled after the FWD parts from either a Honda or a Cobalt, they are not well suited for a RWD application geometry wise. Since your going custom you are free to optimize the geometry for your new RWD application. I've been going down this path with a custom subframe and UCA/LCA suspension I am still designing that will eliminate the McPherson struts. There are several dozen factors to designing a new rear suspension that all play off each other - change one and a dozen other characteristics change. That is why I asked if you have the engineering background to pull this off. Since you appear to be farming this out to someone else to do the fabrication work (and I assume the design) I'm curious how much this will cost? Any estimate? I know how much time and prototyping goes into this process, it's not cheap and it's not quick to acheive results..
I’m completely new to everything, I plan on working on the goblin myself but also send it out to get work done cuz there’s so much I trust myself doing, I wanna do somthing that will challenge myself but is also different and hasn’t been done