Front splitter installation and reviews

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
This is a quick guide on how to install the splitter. There are several ways to do it, this is just how I did it.

The main thing is to use the 2 bolts for the radiator support as the main mount. It’s also a good idea to use a longer bolt for this too. If you measure from the front of the splitter back, the bolt location will be approximately 16 3/8”. From the sides in at that location will approximately be 3 1/4”. There’s a few variables here, so do your measuring to make sure everything lines up properly. Mostly finding centerline and measuring from there is the best. The splitter can go a little forward or back too, so this all changes your measurements.
IMG_8411.jpeg
IMG_7156.jpeg
IMG_7157.jpeg

IMG_7158.jpeg

In the back, I drilled 2 holes through the floorboard, where the “firewall” meets the floor. I used 2 bolts, but feel free to add as many as you want.
IMG_7163.jpeg
IMG_7162.jpeg

You can do what you want for the front. I made little “S” brackets that mount to the hood mount. This really stabilizes the front. Others have used cables coming off the upper control arm mount to the front of the splitter, and some use nothing. I think some sort of front mounting helps stabilize and support the whole splitter, plus makes it look more finished.
IMG_8405.jpeg
IMG_8410.jpeg
65266311121__9CDF6F25-ACD3-455D-97B3-FA595F4FAB06.jpeg
IMG_8382.jpeg

I also had to trim my hood just a little for clearance, but Brett and a few others used small spacers in the front to bring it down a tad. The options are up to you. No 2 hoods are alike.
IMG_1913.jpeg
IMG_1589.jpeg
IMG_1593.jpeg

If you cut out for the intercooler, I used a cheap “hood scoop” in the backwards position for air to get out of the heat exchanger (reference some of my pics on the forum), via fan or the neca ducts. Yes, It is counter productive in some ways, but how it’s set up, there’s not many other choices other than relocating the heat exchanger.
IMG_8412.jpeg
IMG_7158.jpeg

Last edited:

Mahkoi

This is a quick guide on how to install the splitter. Theres are several ways to do it, this is just how I did it.

The main thing is to use the 2 bolts for the radiator support as the main mount. Its also a good idea to use a longer bolt for this also. If you measure, from the front of the splitter back, the bolt location will be approximately 16 3/8”. From the sides in at that location will approximately be 3 1/4”. There’s a few variables here, so do your measuring to make sure everything lines up properly. The splitter can go a little forward or back too, so this all changes your measurements.
View attachment 45906View attachment 45907View attachment 45908
View attachment 45920

In the back, I drilled 2 holes through the floorboard, where the “firewall” meets the floor. I used 2 bolts, but feel free to add as many as you want.
View attachment 45909View attachment 45910

You can do what you want for the front. I made little “S” brackets that mount to the hood mount. This really stabilizes the front. Others have used cables coming off the upper control arm mount to the front of the splitter, and some use nothing. I think some sort of front mounting helps stabilize and support the whole splitter, plus makes it look more finished.
View attachment 45911View attachment 45912View attachment 45913View attachment 45914

I also had to trim my hood just a little for clearance, but Brett and a few others used small spacers in the front to bring it down a tad. The options are up to you. No 2 hoods are alike.
View attachment 45915View attachment 45916View attachment 45917
If you cut out for the intercooler, I used a cheap “hood scoop” in the backwards position for air to get out of the heat exchanger (reference some of my pics on the forum), via fan or the neca ducts. Yes, It is counter productive in some ways, but how it’s set up, there’s not many other choices other than relocating the heat exchanger.
View attachment 45918View attachment 45919
Thanks. Glad to know I was thinking through it the same way prior to the splitter showing up. I got under the car yesterday and one bolt for the rad support had fallen out sometime last summer and the other rivnut had worked loose and was spinning so I planned on getting rid of the rivnuts and drilling them all the way through for an M8 fastener. Not sure how I'll tackle the front attachments yet but this gives me some ideas.

Mahkoi

Just starting into the initial fitment, I used the box it came in to cut a template of it. It's much easier to tape cardboard up than to hold it in place to figure out mounting locations. It's got a bit of weight to it. I'll post some pics when I get a better idea of what I'm doing. I didn't have much time with it tonight.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The original one was made of alumilite and like its name, it was very light, so with a few squeeze clamps, it was very manageable. All others since that one, I just use the original as a template.

there‘s a decent amount of front to back adjustment you can use to put it where you like.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Wood clamps for the quick install. I’m also thinking of using U bolts to go up from the bottom and go around either side of the rad support so I don’t have to drill holes in it. Then use struts like in some of the previous pics to support the front

Attachments

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Mine was heavy but manageable. I used a jack to get it into position best I could and then held in place with wood clamps.

I used the 2 lower radiator support bolts to hold the splitter to the frame in the middle and also drilled 3 holes similar to Rttoys showed at the front firewall/lower floor pan junctions. I used black splitter rods to complete the package. It's held onto the lower A-arm via an L bracket and then drilled through the splitter. I did have to get a longer eye-bolt (red circles) for the splitter struts as none on the market for a reasonable price were long enough. On the hood, I had to slightly trim one side of the fiberglass at the bottom, the other side cleared by a hair. I obviously had to cut a little at the back of the hood to allow the struts to clear.

ccgillett

These are great instructions, thanks for sharing. Question: where did that shroud/scoop protecting the heat exchanger come from? I don't think it's a DF part right? It looks like again something I can't live without :cool:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The little “hood scoop” on the splitter is this one.

If you are refering to the grill on the radiator, they are all homemade. Material I used on mine was from here. There’s enough material there for about 3, in case you mess up

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I ordered these in hope to not have to drill any holes in the rad support. They will be in Thursday. I’ll let you know how they work out

Attachments

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I didn't drill a hole in the radiator support. I drilled a hole in my splitter so the lower radiator support bolts would pass through it while securing the radiator support.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I didn't drill a hole in the radiator support. I drilled a hole in my splitter so the lower radiator support bolts would pass through it while securing the radiator support.
This ^^^

the threaded holes are already there supporting the rad mount (core support). All most of us have done is duplicate the location of the holes on the splitter and use a longer bolt to secure. Some that have added spacers, will need a bit longer bolt.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Mine is just mocked up right now. I ground down an allen and I was able to remove my hood. That was something I wanted to be able to do

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Someone drilled access holes for the hood screws, but I can’t remember who. It’s been a while.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Someone drilled access holes for the hood screws, but I can’t remember who. It’s been a while.
I did that. It worked until my tabs on the radiator support broke off. I then used the fender rubber band things to hold the hood down.

Mahkoi

Got the front splitter installed. Mostly did it the same way as Rttoys. For my front attachment I drilled two holes in the two bottom flat pieces of the rad support. I went as far forward on them as I could. I made two 1/4 in spacers for the front attachment to take up the space between the splitter and rad support bar. I did have to trim the bottom edge of the hood for it to clear the splitter.
20240314_224548.jpg

I've named it the "Critter Splitter" I think it will automatically adjust the height of any roadkills that I'm unfortunate enough to encounter.

20240314_224618.jpg