Going from LSJ to LNF

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I'm just starting to get the handling sorted out on the car and the next noticeable drawback is power with my LSJ.
There are options out there like the TVS 1320 and porting the head, cams $$$$. Getting 350+ from the LSJ will require at least a stage 2 turbo according to ZZP sales convo we had. ZZP is out of stage 2 and not sure if I want to go the TVS route. A new LNF can be had for 2k : https://www.high-performance-engines.com/GM-2-0-Ecotec-Complete-engine-p/20lnf1.htm

I actually have a friend who lost a guide bolt and had a new one dropped in his Solstice he is offering his old LNF free with the turbo and all.
Just trying to figure out all involved with swapping one into the Goblin. Will it fit, frame differences, ECU/BCM compatibility/ upgrade needed, wiring harness compatibility ? Will the LNF bolt to my transmission ? Could I just pull the turbo bits off and use them on the LSJ.

Lots of questions time to start reading up.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
All Ecotec engines have essentially the same exterior dimensions, the bolt ons - supercharger, turbo, etc. - Make the difference overall. The LSJ harness has some differences from the LNF harness, but should not pose a problem. The LNF engine you are looking at has the same bolt pattern as the LSJ and will mate up to your existing F35 transmission. A Solstice LNF motor has some differences, since it was a longitudinal mount versus a lateral mount - not 100% sure, but this info has got to be out there in the world according to Dr. Google.

95Blitz

I like the last line ccanx. Pull the turbo bits off and use them. I'm new to this game but not the modding game. I would think it should be an easy swap.

Tinkles

Late to the game, but I can still help.

The LNF is a direct injected engine with variable valve timing and the LSJ is not, so you will need a engine harness and ECU for the LNF.

But Ecotec are like legos, almost everything fits each other. You can use the turbo setup off a LNF on a LSJ. But 2003+ Saab 93s with the 2.0t have a the LK9 Ecotec. The LK9 is the same as a LSJ execpt that is it turbocharged instead of supercharged. Find one in the junkyard, pull all of the turbo stuff off, and swap it onto your LSJ. Extremely simple way of going turbo.

But I do have a Cavalier with a 2.2L Ecotec and a TVS 1320 on it. It makes close to 300whp and I am not working the supercharger that hard. Compaired to the M62, it is incredibly better. I love how the power is delivered. There is no wait, just instant. I can lug the engine below 2,000rpm in 5th gear and still climb hills/mountains. I actually have to try to not spin the tires in 1st gear. Pushing the gas alittle to hard in 1st = spinning, no need to dump the clutch. I have gotten wheel spin before on a 2-3 shift. I daily a turbo 4-cylinder and the turbo noise is great and fun, but my Goblin is getting a TVS 1320 without a doubt.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I can speak on the wiring harness conversion as I just finished one. It is a somewhat complex process. You will need the LNF BCM & ECM. You will need the ECM to body harness connector and you will need to pin it; those can be bought new from EFI Connection. You will likely need a newer clutch pedal assembly (different sensors). You can get by without using the LNF fuse box, but you will need to rewire the LSJ box for the lack of CHMSL relay if you plant to use it with the cruise control. Several BCM/ECM wires need to be swapped and added. There are numerous minor differences; although much more similarities. Not sure on the instrument cluster compatibility as I’m going a different route; I believe two of the wires need to be swapped. You will need to do a VATS relearn once all is together (VATS cannot be disabled on the LNF)

Save your old intercooler coolant pump & mount as its handy for the L2A cooler if you run one. Trans will bolt right up. Final drive ratio from the LSJ trans is slightly different.

Fuel delivery; pump, lines ect are also different.